What Parts would be useful for XK owners from a wrecked MKVII?

Headlamp rim:
early cars to 722754 and 738184 used 553956, where XK120 used 553620.
later cars from 722755 and 738185 used 554903, same as XK140.

Voltage regulator:
XK120 used a 9 post regulator so not the same.
The 5 post regulator was used on MG and others.

2 Likes

rob is right on this didn’t look at pic carefully enough

The regulator is still useful despite the difference between five and nine posts as the internals are the same. One can save some $$ by doing a straight swap per John Twist’s video here:

2 Likes

Do any XK have the 4 open-end spanners stamped “Garrington” on one side, and “Jaguar” on the other ?

(not including the adjustable spanner)

I have conflicting info on this question

Not XK120, but a search of Garrington in the archives reveals a couple of mentions that they were used in XK140 and 150.

Tony,
The answer to your question varies from XK120 to XK140/150…

XK120 did NOT have spanners with GARRINGTON/JAGUAR - but did have two BSF size spanners made by SNAIL (but a small Snail pictogram, not the name ‘SNAIL’ ), and three AF size spanners with T/W and SUPERSLIM branding. None of these have JAGUAR branding. See photo of the set of three SUPERSLIM/ TW branded spanners, SUPERSLIM on front, and one showing rear branding TW always flanked with BRITISH MADE.

The spanners with GARRINGTON/JAGUAR were introduced in 1951 for Mark VII saloon (new model, received a totally different tool kit from superseded Mark V Saloon). The XK120 continued with its SNAIL & SUPERSLIM spanners until end of model in 1954.
When the new model XK140 was introduced in Oct 1954, it also got a heavily revised tool kit and contents, including now the set of four GARRINGTON/JAGUAR open-ended spanners - and these four spanners continued for all XK140s to the end of 1956… see photo of front JAGUAR side of all four, and one representative rear side showing GARRINGTON branding…

When the XK150 was introduced in 1957, they continued with the set of four GARRINGTON/JAGUAR spanners, but supplies were augmented by a similar set of four spanners with the same JAGUAR branding on one side, but now made by T/W and with this branding on reverse side… see photo of front JAGUAR side of all four, and one representative rear side showing T/W branding…

During the 1957 to 1961 XK150 period you could get a mix of spanner brands, all four could be GARRINGTON/JAGUAR or all four could be TW/JAGUAR, or any mixed combination of the two brands. Indeed it was more common with XK150s to have a mixed brand set of JAGUAR spanners than it was to have all four matching… There is no pattern or basis to conclude make up of the matching brand or mixed brand JAGUAR spanners over the 1957 to 1961 XK150 period, albeit many people putting together a tool kit like to have a matching set of branded spanners…

2 Likes

Here are some parts that I wonder whether will fit XK ?

I think the silver push switch is a door/light activator ?

the chrome rings are from the dash

closeup of this brass tee-piece, I am sure I have seen them before, but cant think, maybe vacuum for washers ?

the other item holds the dashboard on (I believe), like later Saloons

Finally, this large curved bracket that supports the HIF1748 horn.
Is this just a Saloon item, or do XK use it to?

Tony,

Ashtray BD.553 seems correct for various FHC and DHC XKs although the originals look more like “brass”.
The Eyelets will also fit, as will the warning lights (yellow and green). Probably an incomplete set.
The Cigarette Lighter C.2523 is probably the later standard Smiths version, suitable for later 120 and 140.
The Boot light switch C.2873 is also correct for XKs.
The (later) Lights switch C.5481 will also fit most XKs.
I thought the Horn Bracket you show is a much earlier version and not used on XKs.
The large (“brass”) screws are holding the Instrument panel from the XK 140 onward.
The T-piece C.5473/6 is for the Trico Windscreen Washers under the Dashboard.

Hope this helps,

Bob K.

1 Like

some note in bold

[quote=“Bob_K1, post:110, topic:416610”]
Ashtray BD.553 seems correct for various FHC and DHC XKs although the originals look more like “brass”. quite sure not correct for xK
The Eyelets will also fit, as will the warning lights (yellow and green). Probably an incomplete set.
The Cigarette Lighter C.2523 is probably the later standard Smiths version, suitable for later 120 and 140.
The Boot light switch C.2873 is also correct for XKs seems to be missing the metal mounting plate?.
The (later) Lights switch C.5481 will also fit most XKs.
I thought the Horn Bracket you show is a much earlier version and not used on XKs.
The large (“brass”) screws are holding the Instrument panel from the XK 140 onward. length needs checking fits some not others
The T-piece C.5473/6 is for the Trico Windscreen Washers under the Dashboard.
[/quote] actual the bit that transfers from engine bay to inside car nice piece

Here is my ash tray, Nov '51 FHC. Can’t say as I’ve ever paid any attention to it before today.

On the door light switch, there are two lengths, longer for door interior lights and shorter for boot lights.

The boat rudder light switch handle is used on earlier saloons but not on my '51 FHC, which has a tee handle.

Thanks Gents

IMG_20220620_221405265-crop

door ? switch reunited with “metal part” @Terry_McGrath hit the buzzer 1st so he gets the points there !

It appears there is more than one type. MK7 had a lot of ashtrays, as many as 5 or 6 by memory. They are not quite the same as Robs, might fit later Saloons like MK1/2 ?
I have a fair few

Tony, the chrome handle for the later headlight switch, when used on an XK, should have a hole for the locking tab drilled on the left side of the handle.

Thanks Mike, I also have a bunch of these switch handles

The more I learn, the more I think if Sir William Lyons reputation for penny pinching was as strong as rumoured, with all these non-standardisations, he would spin in his grave

I havent looked to see if they are grub-screwed or pinned ?

The other possibility is that it’s the handle to open/close the scuttle vent, which looks similar.

There’s not a grub screw on the headlight switch handle. Instead, there’s a spring-loaded ball on the switch shaft that inserts into the hole in the chrome handle.

True point, you are right. I have both.

My recollection is the vent one is a wee bit bigger (but I could be wrong)

Thanks, so like the other knobs on the switches ?

I have at least one with a screw.

As per Randalls observation, I think this may be the air vent item

The two rheostats on the XK have grub screws securing the knobs.

Got any working vacuum switches?

I need one the turn signal switch for the Jeep.

So I consulted a few experts who had mixed feedback, but then I noticed a MK7 chassis for sale for 5 times what I would ask, so with that in mind, I am wondering how useful a MK7 chassis may be to someone repairing a accident damaged or rusted XK chassis ?

I know minor chassis repairs can be done with fabrication

My question is, if anyone knows, are the chassis “legs” or sections of matching dimensions to XK ?

I am advised the rear axle “up swept” section is

The alternative is cut it up and give it to the scrap metal guy, (although I will retain the upsweeps)

I have been asked for a chassis by someone once before, but I didnt have one at the time

chassis-crop