What Parts would be useful for XK owners from a wrecked MKVII?

The blue/purple dashboard light cover and power source cover are used in Mark V, but not XK.
The interior light cover, looks similar to Mark V and XK120 FHC but would need to know the length.

What about the 3 small screws that retain the inner chrome headlight trim to its galvanised rear piece ?

I think the parts for the headlight assembly are the same early MK7/vs XK120 ?

The 3 types of crosshead screws I pictured earlier, the round head ones attach the guards

The tapered ones attach the doors and bootlid respectively, what fasteners are used in those positions on XK120?

Hi Tony,

Can’t advise on the alloy 120s, but (all?) the steel bodies had quite a different set up to the MK7. No bucket and different mounting ring/spring, adjustment screw and inner and outer rim. I’m sure there would also be variances for North America where sealed beams were required.

Edit, MK7 outer ring (on left) is larger dia. and wider.

Thanks Dave that’s all good info. Nothing like photographic proof

I believe someone confirmed the headlight rim embellishers are the same as XK140

I have received various info on the buckets re XK120, one person contacted me who said he had them fitted to his XK120, but they were rusty

I do have Parts Manuals, which I try to check

I have received enquiry about these MK7 lighter assemblies

I note that various part numbers are shown in the XK and MK7 Parts Manuals

Is the pictured lighter assembly correct for XK , especially XK120 ?

various dimensions are shown in mm

DSCF0011-crop

The diameter of the element body is 22mm
The diameter of the chrome lip on the element is 26mm

I think that is as clear as I can make it.
There is some script on the element body

here is a pic of another lighter that is identical except the outer case of the receptacle is chromed, (but that is hidden behind the instrument panel). The outer receptacle is bakelite in the earlier item

0aa040920d53cf35ea472cb99319e2b49d6af1ae_2_346x499

Tony:

My 1953 XK120 lighter has the following dimensions: Length: 54.61mm; Chrome casing diameter: 25.44mm; Bakelite casing diameter: 21.05mm and is marked “Smiths MA”.

Lighters from a 1959 Mk IX that I have (from the side wood filets between the doors) show the following: Length: 55.61mm; Chrome casing diameter: 25.75mm; Bakelite casing diameter: 20.87mm also marked “Smiths MA”.

Both lighters physically look the same as your short example above with the chrome surround.

Chris.

1 Like

I replied to Tony offline, then I thought the rest of the group might have some thoughts.

Here is what is in the Mark VII SPC.
Here is what is in the XK120 SPC.
Here is what is in the Mark V SPC.
Here is what my XK120 has.

According to the SPC it is presumably the C2523.
It has a plain black knob with SMITHS MA molded on it in raised letters.

So near as I can guess, yours should be good for most XK120s.

The earliest 120s and Mark VIIs had the same 40503 as SS/Mark IV/V with a glass center so you could see the glow, and it is known as an owl’s eye lighter. You had to hold it in, unlike the later ones which pop out when they are hot. I think that is the meaning of the word thermostatic.

However I notice that there are different suffix numbers, i.e. /2, /8 and /11 for which I have no definite explanation. My guess is the sockets are slightly different lengths for the different instrument panels, or different methods of attaching the wire. Unless Mark VII had them in the back seats?

As always, these are observations, and best guesses where there is nothing to observe.

1 Like

This looks looks exactly like mine, which is original.

It just came to me that the different suffix numbers might be for different length U-shaped clamps for different instrument panels.

reward yourself with a Scotch or something, that is the major difference,
although the length of the outer tube that retains the unit behind the dash can also be bakelite, chrome, or steel, and perhaps different lengths as well.

They look the same and will fit is the main thing

It’s interesting that this subject came up now since I have recently needed to research the subject of cigar lighters. The handle of one of the three lighters in my MK IX was missing so I needed to scrounge around to find a replacement. Here’s what I found.

The one on the left came from my XK120 which was parked in 1961. I don’t know if it was original but it was certainly a period piece. It needs to be held in to heat up. It is 0.82" in diameter.
The one in the middle was used in my MK1, MK IX, XK140 and early MK2. It is 0.9" in diameter. The parts manuals for the various cars show different numbers but I can’t tell the difference between them by looking.
The one on the right was used in the later MK2. It is 0.82" in diameter.

When you take them apart you can see that their construction is very different, in that the center one has the large diameter threads molded into the Bakelite handle, which also has “SMITHS MA” molded into it. Luckily I still had the lighter from the MK1 that I bought in 1969, so I was able to replace the missing one in my MK IX.
The difference in diameter of the different models may help explain why I have trouble with accessory plugs staying inserted into certain cigar lighter sockets.

I’ve got the middle one in my 53 fhc, and so far haven’t been able to find an accessory socket that stays in, the original socket being too large in diameter. Do I keep looking? Will I find a USB insert that will fit? Or do I need to build my own? Thanks as always!

Here is the original cig lighter from my 1950 Mark V saloon, presumably the same as early 120. It is marked Smith’s and Pat. No. 372093

cigar lighter 006
cigar lighter 004

You have to hold it in to get it to heat up, then it glows and you see an orange owl’s eye in the glass.

That patent dates from 1931 and owned by Smith’s.

The front cigar lighter in my MK IX is in a very bad location for plugging in accessories and is of the larger diameter anyway, so I installed this in the center of the under-dash kick panel.

One advantage is that since it comes with two wires you can wire it to be negative ground in a positive ground car. It also tells you where the locking points are for the accessory plug.
You can’t see it from a normal sitting position but if you lay your head on the front seat and look forward this is what you see:

I fabricated an aluminum right-angle bracket for it and sandwiched the kick panel between it and a thin piece of wood on top of the kick panel.

1 Like

That’s a really neat little piece of kit, but I don’t know why they insist on making a little lights in things like this bright blue. I can’t deal with that at night. If they made it in red, I’d be really interested!

I agree about the blue lights. I bought a little mixing console and the pilot light was a high-intensity blue. Something about that light shining in my eyes made them shut down so I couldn’t see anything on the panel. A piece of gaffer’s tape solved that.

I replaced the white hi-beam light in the Rover dashboard with a red LED: even though the blue overfilter was still in, when it goes on, it’s still pretty red. That helps!

Another oddity, this relay removed from a '51 MK7, looked like its stock position on the inner guard

Its the horn relay, and the Parts manual for XK120/MK7,call out same part num Lucas 33135/B

I cannot see Lucas marked on the case anywhere

Its pinout does not seem to conform to the Lucas relay

Its pinouts are S B H

It now works, as I cleaned the points

Sorry, it defied my efforts to take clear pictures

Its possible this is a replacement generic horn relay

Anyone cast any further info on this relay ?

horn relay sbh

It probably is. Here’s a pic of my 51 MkVII, which I believe is original, it’s marked LUCAS SB40-1.

Yes, the spade or Lucar connections date it to somewhat later.