What's Supposed To Be Here?

Continuing to trim out the rot, but in some places, there’s no there there. Does anyone have a photo of just what this lower corner of inner rear wing should look like? Is there short vertical flange at the bottom edge? Does it attach to the sill?

Hi Mike,
I had similar issues when I worked on my 140. I would recommend placing your floor pans to the sills and then you should have an idea what needs to fit in that corner.
mike

1 Like

Yeah, floors are wood in a 120, and I dont have them.

Mike

I’ve sort of been keeping a photo record of my trials and tribulations with our ’54 FHC. Lots of pictures of this area mixed in with a bunch of other photos.

https://jagnuts.ca/BobsXK120Blog/BobsXK120Blog.html

Look at Epoch 4 for the pre-rot-removal photos, and Epoch 6 for the “repairs”.

I’d be glad to answer any questions if I can too.

Bob

1 Like

Mike,

In addition to the pics from the “other Bob”, here are some of mine, taken during the restoration. You can “zoom-in” for more details.

Bob K.

1 Like

Bob, is this a FHC or DHC? I’m working on an OTS and it looks a little different.

Mike,

This is an April 1954 OTS. I assume my bodyshop simply replaced the original (rusted) parts.

Bob K.

Mike,

Here are some additional pictures. The above pictures were taken before the battery box section was placed. Now also some pics including the battery boxes. Hope these will help you.

Bob K.

1 Like

Mike, in this thread are pics of the area in question being upholstered, for further insight.

Note the routing of the rear wiring harness on the right side, through a hole in the sill below the wheel well.

1 Like

@Nickolas OH MY! Those are very helpful!

Do you guys recall what gauge metal you used for all of these interior panels in the shut faces and battery box area? The stuff I cut out was so corroded it was difficult to get a good measurement. Looks like it might have been 19 gauge? That’s an odd size for availability. If that is the case, I would use 18 gauge.

Yes, 19 gauge. I also used 18 for the resto.

1 Like

First pass at a battery box shelf template. Still work to do. To make the front panel match the angle on the flange on the driveshaft tunnel, I think I need to make the top shelf 9-3/4" deep. It’s 9" now. The front face needs to be 10 degrees from vertical.

You may have all you need but I will add these. If you want additional photos or measurements let me know.

Mike Shepard
1952 ots

1 Like

Here is a USA source for body panels.

1 Like

Oh, I know I can BUY them, but I want to make them.

I think I have sorted out the problem. The top shelf is fine, but the front face is too short. That makes sense, since I didn’t have much, or anything, of the original left. Lowering the tunnel flange lines up everything much better.

That actually helps a lot! Thank you!