Who is in the middle of a restoration at the moment?

I am talking about a full blown restoration, where darn near everything has been rebuilt, repaired and painted.
Personally I am 2 years in and I hope only 6 months to go.
What are your stats?
Thanks

(Holding up hand)

But not an E-type this time. I finished my last nut-and-bolt bare metal rotisserie E-type OTS restoration six years ago. It took me 2 years and 9 months, semi-full-time. Tore everything apart for rebuild. Currently up to my eyeballs doing the same thing on my XK120 OTS but it’s taking longer. Bodywork’s the biggie on both, of course, but compared to doing up an XK120 an E is a walk in the park.

Please explain Nick. 120 v E

Well…I’m at 20 yrs and counting.

I just completed a two-year restoration from ground zero, but I am retired. It was pretty much a full-time job.

4 Likes

never noticed how much the open bonnet remind’s one of Gortz’ visor.

Noticed that, didja?

Essentially more curves, compound curves and, most of all, about 20 square feet of almost flat slab sides on the 120, David. Add to that the greater complexity of welding, stretching and shrinking aluminum door, bonnet and bootlid skins and structures and taking an XK body off its frame and onto a rotisserie. Then there are the primitive hinges on top of essentially hand made (read: variable, as in not standard, fits) body panels. And not to forget a half dozen different fastener standards and greater preponderance of nla parts.

1 Like

3 years into a 67 OTS. Metalwork is done and body is at the body shop waiting for “down time” to complete the tough job of covering my amateur welding, then priming and painting. Rear end is done, trannie is done, started on the engine a couple weeks ago, and in the meantime, while I wait on parts and tools, blasting and powder coating front suspension, and a thousand other bits and pieces. Guessing body will be painted by spring, then re-assembly starts. Working maybe 10-12 hours a week…

My second resto… finished a 69 coupe in 2016

Missing the front bumper on the picture, but its there now!

John North

1 1/2 years in on 67 OTS. Waiting for motor to come back then another 6 months, hopefully.

Middle is such a strong word…

I would hope to presume 1/2 way through. Full ground up restoration of a 69 coupe. Wasn’t supposed to be this bad but three rats nest‘s and walnuts and acorns inside the radiator lead to a full resto. I’m doing it all myself with help from this forum. A lot of distractions lead me to believe I’ve just begun this fight!

As bought…

Current condition…

4 Likes

Restoration definition: Double estimated cost. Triple estimated time. Feel lucky if that works out.

6 Likes

It’s been my experience on automotive and other projects that the last 10% of work usually takes at least 50% of the total time spent. Regardless, she’s going to be a beaut when she’s done, Steve.

1 Like

Not quite OT, as my last full blown restoration only had me directing traffic, due to getting old and didn’t want to just spend money on gold hubcaps for a wheel chair. But, don’t be too hard on me, I’m not a poser, having rebuilt a number of classic cars (and airplanes) over that lifetime, full on, so felt comfortable on this “git 'er done” tactic.

Mine took 7 months and some trusted shops and cash, started in October 2017 and finished in April 2018, sorted over the summer and then driven as a daily driver for a total of about 3,000 miles. The details are posted on this thread…

2 Likes

The 3:2 Rule.

I found it to be a…conservative rule.

:grimacing:

1 Like

Sorry…:grimacing:

I KNOW you’ll have a gorgeous girl, in the end! I might even hafta come to Texas for the unveiling.

2 Likes

Started last December, plan to finish mid2020 (in time for the OJOA concours)

MGM_0940%201

Changes:
Classicfabs SS headers and exhaust
Clayton Classics AC
Jaguar Classic infotainment
Rob Beere LSD ramp blocks
Oil cooler, bespoke pre-oiler
Suffolk and Turley interior
covered headlights
delete running lights

1 Like

With all these changes, Why are you in a hurry to finish it for a concours show?

There is always the modified class, I think it’s designated SO3 by the JCNA.

1 Like