XJ6 XJ12 XJC door jam

hello

while starting restoring my XJ12C (for those who haven’t seen my XJC v12 you can refer here :
https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/new-xjc-v12-in-my-garage/439194 )

I have to tackle door jamming issues:

I mistakingly shut the LHD (driver’s) door with internal lock in locked position (ie pulled backwards), and it would’nt open from outside…
I had to use burglar’s methods to push the lock from outside with a rod trough a 3mm opening in the window; success !
now I can proceed with my neighbor’s Bentley
:grinning:
more seriously I removed the door card and saw this spring in the middle of the lock; it may have been the issue ? where does it go ?

and the seller told me that the RH passenger door was blocked ! and this time to possibility to open from inside not outsied whatever the position of the lock
fortunately the good news are that it is possible to remove the door card from inside witth door closed, without damage

far from being the case on all cars !
I have bouht new locks (ridiculousely cheap from SNG) and plan to condamn the mechanical locks to install a remote control

1 Like

Rolando,

don’t do anything to the door locks, if you want to install a remote control!

Your coupé should be technically equivalent to the SII sedans. These are equipped with electrically operated “central locking” triggered by a rocker switch on the central console. It is a breeze only requiring fabricating a couple of wires to tap a remote control unit into this switch. Everything can be uninstalled in a matter of 30 mins. I did that to my car 5 years ago and everything still works a charm.

You should find my thread - I documented the modification at the time https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/installation-of-keyless-remote-control-locks-to-sii-cars/358343.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

The ‘manual’ door mechanism likely must work properly for the remote to operate, Jochen…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

super info Jorchen thanks a lot ! ; will follow your recommendations and diagram

Rolando,

the diagram is basically taken from the official wiring pattern.

Understanding the functioning of the r/c switch is probably a no-brainer for anyone used to working on such things. It took me quite some time to figure out how it works though and that’s why I wrote it down. The same info is both in my ROM and in my wiring diagram to help me understand if anything goes wrong in ten years time …

Good luck - and of course, as Frank rightly stated: you have to get the mechanical part operational first before you even think about a remote control. Just - and that was the point I wanted to make - spare yourself all the trouble of fitting non-standard locks. All you need for a remote control is already installed in the doors and the power locking system.

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

It’s on the lock - unlock mechanism.

bien vu Aristides ! thanks

many thanks Jorgen