XJS V12 fuel leak from tank when full

As to why it split, the obvious answer is age.

Let’s pretend that’s not the case and pontificate how that could split.

First, that’s not fuel line, but I know it gets fuel in it on a full tank fill up. So first thought is that the fuel will eventually eat its way through the rubber hose. Second thought is that line is under pressure, even a small amount. IIRC the vacuum valve, CAC 3101, is only a 2psi thing. In any case, fuel/fuel vapor under pressure in a non-fuel hose, sounds like a good recipe for a split hose. Last thought is that if the vapor line back to the canister is clogged, you’ll get even more pressure and you’ll probably be hearing that whenever the gas cap is opened or your tank starts collapsing.

1 Like

Jeff,
What are the dimensions of the what plastic Vacuum Valve (CAC3101) on that rubber hose? I am wondering if there is another way to “skin this cat” by using a normal fuel hose and a reducer of some type. There isn’t much room but it may be possible.

Paul

Paul
I have just ordered two of the infamous rubber tubes from Terry’s.

I will believe it when I see em, watch this space. The postage was triple the cost of the part.

Roger

I was going to order some quarter-turn fasteners, till I got to the shipping part of checkout. I guess “one size fits all” shipping rate is easiest anymore.

Terry’s shipping costs have gotten ridiculous. I’ve gone elsewhere several times after shipping costs were several times the cost of the parts. 1st class mail in a padded bag is fine for a lot of parts, but they don’t offer that option.

Roger,
I am betting that I have the same split hose on our 1990 XJ-S convertible as I just purchased one of those EBC10152 stepped hoses from Terry’s Jaguar parts as well. I also purchased a bunch of other assorted small parts for my E-Type and XJ12 to spread the cost of shipping across a larger number of small bits and pieces so it isn’t too painful.

Paul

Upon further investigation, the vacuum valve on mine is just a plastic reducer. All rochester and vacuum valves on my convertible are by the canister in the front.

Not sure what impact it would have, but if you remove that vacuum valve, then you don’t need the reducer hose. I think you can just use regular fuel hose with the appropriate adapter to join the hose from the tank to the hardline.

1 Like

I just put our 1990 XJ-S convertible up on a lift and confirmed that the stepped fuel evaporative system hose (EBC10152) was badly cracked. It crumbled into bits when I removed it. There is no doubt that it contributed to the fuel fume smell around the left rear of our car and it is quite likely the reason for the small fuel spill on the ground behind the left rear tire when topping off the fuel tank.

I ordered a new EBC10152 from Terry’s Jaguar, along with some other parts, and plan to install it when it arrives. I will post back when I install the new hose and confirm whether or not it fixes the fuel spill on tank top off.

I highly suspect that this hose has failed on many other XJ-Ss so it is well worth checking particularly if you get a small fuel spill when topping off the fuel tank or if you smell fuel fumes outside your car near the left rear tire.

Paul

I’ve got to wonder, again, the purpose of the stepped fuel evaporative system hose (EBC10152) and plastic reducer that joins the hose from the main tank to the hard line back to the canister. I mean, if it’s just a “vapor” line, then why not save the money and hassle and just run the hose to the hardline with a clamp and skip the reducer and stepped fuel evaporative system hose (EBC10152)?

We know that liquid fuel gets to that hose and not just vapor - otherwise we wouldn’t be talking fuel puddles left by our big cats. I’m pretty sure there’s a 2 psi vacuum valve somewhere in this equation also. I have to think that there’s something in play with the hose from the main tank getting bigger and then much smaller before going into the hardline. I’m also thinking it has to do with keeping liquid gas out of the canister.

For me - I eliminated everything from the canister back to the hose above the red circle in your picture and plugged the hole with a lawn mower fuel filter. What I’ve been thinking as to why I leak after a full fill-up has to do with back pressure - I’ve got nothing that is pushing back pressure-wise on the fuel trying to escape. I think my first experiment is going to be to use one of the many little 2 psi vacuum things I have from canister removal and try to put one before my lawn mower filter to see if that slight amount of push-back keeps the fuel where it should be.

I will report my findings

Look forward to it.

Roger

Here is a picture of the new OEM EBC10152 hose that I received from Terry’s Jaguar Parts.

I have access to a 4 post lift on Saturday 2/18 and plan to install this new hose that day. Hopefully it will fix the problem with fuel leaking on the ground behind the left rear tire when topping off and the faint but persistent fuel fume smell at the left rear of the car when parked in my garage.

Paul

Paul
You are lucky, my order from Terry seems to have been ignored or lost in the post.

Roger

I never had a problem receiving from Terry’s

1 Like

Roger,

It is good to be lucky! :wink:

I ordered several parts from Terry’s for our E-Type at the same time and shipping of my order was delayed due to some of the part being on back order. I told them to ship them all at the same time, even if there was a delay.

Paul

image001.jpg

As I mentioned, it might be lost in the post or Sods law it will show up today.

Roger

Just been on to Terry’s asking why the hold up. Reply was OUT OF STOCK, no idea when they will be available. So, back to square one for the elusive bit of hose.

Roger

Could that be a check valve which only allows fumes to go to the canister under slight vacuum, but not allow fumes back through the check valve?

Roger,
Sorry if I snagged the last one. :disappointed:
I am not sure where in the world you live, but did you try contacting your nearest Jaguar dealership’s parts department? The stepped hose that I received was packaged as an OEM part. Perhaps there are others in the Jaguar parts supply system.

Paul

That looks like the same hose that is used at the charcoal cannister, where there are 3 of them?

Jerry
You are correct, thanks for the heads up. The situation is a bit bizarre.
No one has EBC 10152 “hose” but the same part number for “charcoal canister” is readily available from JAGBITS. Based on previous experience with this saga I have just ordered two but I am not holding my breath waiting for them to arrive. Watch this space.

Roger