XJS V12 fuel leak from tank when full

Paul
I phoned my Spokane Jag dealer, gave parts man the part number, bit of pause before he announced that that number belonged to earlier cars which we have nothing to do with. EXIT STAGE LEFT.
See my reply to Jerry

1 Like

Yet again my online order showed the hose in stock, order placed but today I am advised it is not available. The Thot Plickens.

Roger

I got access to the four post lift on Saturday 2/18 and installed the new OEM stepped hose (EBC10152) that I purchased from Terry’s Jaguar Parts. I installed it with the same spring clamps that were on the original cracked and broken hose after heating up the stepped hose with my heat gun to soften up the rubber a bit to make it easier to push over the pipe barbs.
The first picture shows the two pipes with the hose removed.

The second pictures shows the new hose installed.

I have been driving the car a lot since I installed the new stepped hose and I am pleased to report that there were no fuel leaks when I topped off the tank twice on fill ups and the faint fuel fume smell around the left rear of the car when parked overnight in my garage appears gone. In addition, I noticed the return of a faint “whoosh” sound when I opened up the fuel filler cap has returned. I haven’t heard that sound for a few years now on this car, although it was present when I purchased it in 2005. The faint “whoosh” sound is confirmation that the fuel system is now properly sealed again and preventing fuel fumes from escaping into the atmosphere as originally designed.
If you don’t have a faint “whoosh” sound when opening up your fuel cap and/or if you notice that when topping off your fuel tank you get a small fuel spill at the rear of your left rear tire, then you might have the same problem that I had and that a replacement of a damaged/cracked stepped fuel hose (CDC7586, EBC10152) is the fix.
I provided a picture of the original cracked stepped fuel hose in my car attached to one of my other posts further up in this string. It appears that these stepped hoses are in short supply. It seems that there is a business opportunity for these hoses since they don’t last forever and it is possible that a lot of cars need them. I called Terry’s sales office and suggested that there was likely a demand for this unusual hose and recommended the they or Jaguar look into supplying this hose in the future since they seem to be in very short supply and I may have gotten the last NOS one in existence.

Paul

I found a source in England which has the EBC 10152 reducing hoses in stock.

The catch is the shipping. I was going to order 1, then order 4 (1 for the vapor line by the tank and 3 for the charcoal cannister as they are also 40 years old), but I can order 20, or even 32, for the same shipping cost (they apparently have at least 32, but have less than 40 as 40 was kicked back as exceeding their inventory),

With shipping, 32 of them (32 would do for 8 cars) would be about $73, or about $2.30 each
With shipping, 20 of them (20 would do for 5 cars) would be about $54, or about $2.75 each.

• additional postage for mailing in a padded envelope to continental US of whatever that cost would be

Round number estimate would be less than $15 for 4 of them, allowing about $3 for mailing cost to send them out in packages of 4.

How many are interested in getting 4 of those reducer hoses? I hate to order just 4 for me and spend the same shipping cost as it would for shipping 20 or 32 of them.

Sng Barratt can get them and will do el cheapo first class mail. Wouldn’t be put off by “special order” note on thier website.

Price is listed in Pounds Sterling, which is the same as where I am locking:

Which states: Delivery (Delivery by DHL - INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING - USA) £16.25 … which equals $20 USD

Are you sure that “special order” is not ‘shipped from England’?

When you go to their website, make sure you select USA flag so you get US prices. They are located in Manchester New Hampshire so once they get them to New Hampshire, on their own dime, you pay US domestic shipping. I live in New Hampshire and visit them in person occasionally. It depends on the part if it’s coming from the UK or from Jaguars US warehouse. They do bring in shipping containers from UK also. If the leadtime is ridiculous, then screw it is they are a good source and will answer the phone eventually.

I thought I read above that SNG Barratt didn’t have those hoses either, but apparently that is not the case. With everyone saying there were none to be found, I went to the source and found some … albeit an unnecessary adventure.

4 of the EBC10152 reducing hoses costs $16.00, including $7.00 for shipping 1st Class Mail USPS.

Which makes the hoses cost $4.00 each, so I am placing my order that way … and will see is they are in stock and what the delivery times are.

Thank you.

1 Like

SNG Barratt doesn’t stock them.

1 to 2 weeks to row across the pond to get them.

Jerry,
Well, I had to wait 1-2 weeks for Terry’s Jaguar to source one, so maybe they got the one for me overseas. :thinking:
If SNG Barraty can still source them that will be good to know.
As Yogi Berra said, “It ain’t over til it’s over.” :grin:

Paul

All SNG Barratt has to do to source them is to click the link I provided, them bring those reducing hoses to this side of the pond. :smiley:

I have just received two of the stepped hoses from Welsh.
Ordered on line and paid $2.24 each. Following day advised they had no stock except used ones at $20 each. I pointed out new ones were in stock on the web site which I ordered and paid for. Next day they had found some new ones.

Lets see … new ones at $2.24 each … versus used ones at $20 each?

Take the new ones, rub them around a bit, and they are worth $18 more than unrubbed new ones?

Did you ask what they were smoking?

Ordered 4 from SNG on 2-21, arrived today.

Two weeks, not bad considering they had row across the pond to get them …