XK-E vs. E-Type, Roadster vs. OTS, Coupe vs. FHC

Porsche…Porsh or Porsh-sha. Ferrari or Feehrrrarrrrri , Jag U R, or about 20 other ways…that defy spelling.
Nick ( or Nic or Nico in Italy, or Neeeek in France.)

1 Like

Jag-wire.

+whatever+++

1 Like

What I don’t understood is why so many don’t simply refer to their E-Type (or XKE) by its year and type, and why they refer to it as say, a Series 1 OTS instead of a 1962 OTS - or a Series II 2+2 instead of a 1970 2+2. Aren’t all 1962s Ser I, and all 1970s Ser II?

Preceded in use by Auburn in 1929…:grimacing:

I do not know what is in other people’s thoughts, but personally I think this whole issue of trying to tell others the “proper” term for these or any car is somewhat elitist. One trying to impress others how they know the “proper” British term. Well, it is a British car, but I live in the USA. I do not speak British English, although I may use its terms at times. In the US, it was XK-E. So if one wants to call it that in the USA, fine. And on this topic. In the US, it is not a bonnet, it is a hood. It is not a hood, it is a top, and it is not a boot, it is a trunk. I have a German car, and to my knowledge, no one I have ever met in the US calls the trunk a kofferraum, or what ever the correct German word is. So everyone use the terms they feel fit their situation/language/ whatever. If we do not understand, we will ask. :grinning:
Tom

2 Likes

The V12, by definition, is not an XK-E since doesn’t have an has XK engine

3 Likes

How about an XK8?

Dave

3 Likes

Another factoid: the C and D-Types were sometimes referred to as “XK-C” and “XK-D.” So “XK-E” isn’t such an unlikely moniker.

Then there’s the XK-E’s predecessor, the XK-SS.

No wonder the U.S. marketing group was pulling their collective hair out about what to call the new beast…

1 Like

And why didn’t we have an XK6 instead of the XJ6?

Again, we disagree: “Somewhat elitist” is not what I had in mind…:grinning:

Big honkin’ sedan was already taken.

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Why is it elitist to default to the factory terminology??

The horn push reads E-type

1 Like

We know.

My favorite uncle’s birth certificate …and death certificate…read “Loren H. Dwyer” but everyone knew him as “Jack”. And, to us kids, he was then and will forever be our “Uncle Jack”. That’s how we knew him and that’s how we loved him and that’s how we remember him. :slight_smile:

Swaths of Americans knew, loved, and remember the E-Type as “XKE”. To them, saying “E-Type” seems as odd as saying “Uncle Loren”.

Cheers
DD

4 Likes

As mentioned in the original post, that’s the only place on the car where the factory name appeared. One must assume U.S. marketing thought long and hard about what to call it here. The car was known as XK-E in U.S. brochures from 1961 until the V-12 in 1971.

We’ve seen XK-C, XK-D, XK-120, XK-140 XK-150 and XK-SS, so why not XK-E?

1 Like

Or… XK-J!!!

:grimacing:

Ummmmm…

I’ve never seen XKE or XK-E displayed on any car. Marketing materials certainly, but never on the car itself (at least not from the factory). I really don’t care- call your car Uncle Joe for all I care :rofl:

2 Likes

This was addressed in the original post. The insignia you reference wasn’t introduced until the 1965 model year. Prior to that, the boot insignia was, simply, “Jaguar.” And even with “E-Type” on the boot and horn push through 1970, Jaguar U.S.A. still called it an XK-E as did the U.S. car buyers.

That said, certainly many of us were aware of the duality which made the car and its mystique even more desirable.

1 Like

Another vote for XKE.

3 Likes

From my car’s eBay listing when I bought it (Oregon plates):

3 Likes