XK-E vs. E-Type, Roadster vs. OTS, Coupe vs. FHC

While not on the car, the factory workshop manual and spares catalogue say E-type

Even the stoners in this band got it right…
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Les, I said “somewhat elitist” as I was not sure what the proper term may be. But to try to explain further- I have seen some berate others here because they use the term XK-E. They have even gone as far as to say XK-E is not correct. I have also heard some say because it is a British car, one “should” be using the terms bonnet, hood, boot, etc. Maybe elitist is not the correct term. What term would you suggest when some are being told that one should be using the “proper” terms. Using hood, trunk, etc. are the proper USA terms, as is both E-Type and XK-E. And again, when you say “default to the factory terminology”- I find that odd. I do not default to the factory terminology for Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Fiat, Peugeot, etc. I believe many cars have different names in different countries. I believe a Toyota Avalon is called an Abaron in Japan. I do not default to the names that Toyota in Japan uses. Do you?
Tom

3 Likes

The purpose of this thread was to reinforce the stone cold solid fact that between 1961 and 1970 the E-Type in the USA was firmly established in the American lexicon/vernacular as the XK-E, in both coupe and roadster versions. The naming convention was right and correct because Jaguar Britain and Jaguar USA agreed to the decision.

May I make the assumption that most Americans in their mid 60s or older agree?

Disclaimer: I refer to my car as both an E-Type and XK-E, but usually as, simply, “The E.”

1 Like

I guess if you’re not pinched, stacked and packed like Sophia, Jack is just fine. Many of my aunts and uncles traded under names different to their birth certs as well.

When my 7 year old son first saw this he said what is a Jack War? I never understood why the factory couldn’t make a proper G. I know they wanted to trim cost wherever they could…but really? :grinning:

Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

1 Like

Well, I’ll never look at that the same now! :slight_smile:

When you look at the script ID on the back of a Pantera, at first glance it reads, “Parteca.”

:smile:

They look like Chinese knockoffs of the real names. Like Ralex watches.

Rick

1 Like

Im guilty as well , series 3 “e-type” but couldnt turn down the rare 3 digit plate , that literally just became avail 1 month prior to me registering .
Now id be happy to trade it… for a 67 series 1 coupe to match the plate :wink:

1 Like

Ah yes, the American Exceptionalism appearing once again. In this case of course it’s wrong because the manufacturer never used that lingo on their cars, in the US or anywhere else. Good indication of what Jaguar, NOT “jagwaa”, thought of the XKE handle.

Angels… heads of pins…

Yawn.

1 Like

I just checked, and it says “E-Type” on the heckklappe of my XK-E. And it’s also on the hupenknopf.

2 Likes

You might wanna get that checked out, Mike: I think you can get shots for that.

This is tangentially related to one of those bar bets I will make five bucks on, off old Jeepers: I’ll ask the question, "Where on a flat-fender Jeep is the word "Jeep "embossed in the body steel? "

Most will answer ‘nowhere, it only is stamped “Wiilys” on the body.’

It is then I will direct their attention to the passenger side footwell, back where your heels would be, in the toolbox under the seat.

It is there the word “Jeep” is embossed.

I’ll take cash, thank you very much.

Well Les,
A U.S. citizen did the coupe so wouldn’t it be an example of…
Anglo-American Exceptionalism?

Surely there was curled-lip teeth gnashing, huffy harrrumphs…and even deeply furrowed brows. :slight_smile: Imagine renaming a masterpiece just to make it more appealing to those… those…those vulgar Americans. Gah ! :slight_smile:

But they…whoever “they” might have been…couldn’t prevail over the bigger decision makers who obviously sided with the ever-important marketing department to call it the “XKE”.

It does have a bit of a ring to it!

Cheers
DD

1 Like

I would suggest simply using the name the factory used and placed on the car. Anything else is just sales chat IMO.

Answer is none. One is real and the other?

This thread is an excellent example of tribalism, and why world peace is ever more unlikely.

:smirk:

6 Likes

Don’t see the connection Doug. We’re talking about a proper naming convention, not design.

I can see how they hit to XKE but I do find it irritating to hear the Jagwaah handle being used, and why, because I assume they wanted some kind of silly snob or elitist label for the car. It’s a bloody E-type folks, designed and built by Jag-u-er.

As one said, call it what you like but it changes nothing.

No it doesn’t, it’s ridiculous and pretentious.

Over the top, again wigs?:face_with_raised_eyebrow: