XK Symmetry - factory originality

Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

(William Blake)

Not a Sunbeam in this case but another cat, the XK120 I’m restoring - or more accurately have been restoring on and off, mostly off, for 26+ years.

The car has a long, interesting history, which may become the subject of another post once I fill in some blanks, but here’s a brief synopsis.

The original owner was a Miss Jane Stevenson Lusty, daughter of a wealthy land owner in Wisconsin and granddaughter of Senator Isaac Stevenson. Jane kept two residences, one in the Florida Keys and the other her parents’ mansion in Wisconsin, which she inherited when they died in the 50s. The car was in the mansion’s garage in Wisconsin at the time Jane died in mid-1966, age 48. She was an only child and died intestate, so the estate was tied up in the courts for a couple of years. During that time some kids broke into the garage and did some light damage, but the car was otherwise a 22,000 mile complete original.

The car, according to the man I bought it from in 1991, was purchased in 1970 or so from an estate - ostensibly Jane’s - by a man from Harbour Springs MI, who stripped it down and took the bare frame and body to Grand Rapids to have it dipped. With all the paint and corrosion removed the car body broke in half, the rockers were half rusted through, though the frame was solid, and it was at that point the restoration came to a standstill. It was not as solid a car as it had appeared.

The car sat broken in half and disassembled for two decades when it was purchased by the probable third owner in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario who stashed it in his barn. This fellow made his living buying and selling, and occasionally restoring, British sportscars. He sold it to guy in Toronto who dealt in old British cars with the understanding that the restoration work would be done by #3. But #4 got into financial straights and had to liquidate his entire inventory, and that’s where I enter the picture. I negotiated a deal with #3 to complete the steel bodywork to primer, using lead only and no bondo, and I would do the rest, including repairs to the aluminum doors, bootlid and bonnet. A year later I took the car home.

The quality of the work itself looked not bad but nothing fitted right - actually a bit of an understatement. The door, bootlid and bonnet fits were horrible - out as much as half an inch - and everything finished with body solder. This was a shared error. Since the car was for the most part straight and unmolested, #3 thought he could do the work without having the aluminum bits as benchmarks but he ended up doing more cutting out and welding than he’d anticipated, and once you get into that sort of exercise you really need to have those hinged body panels installed for reference.

So, I’m coming to the end of the bodywork and have been able to achieve a symmetrical effect. However, when I stripped the primer off the front of the car a day or so back I found that #3 had cheated a bit and applied a thick layer of Metalux body filler (technically not bondo, but certainly not body solder) to the left headlight pod to better match the right one, on which he had to do some patch repairs.

Symmetry lost. I took these pics just now. Both pods:

doesn’t look too bad. This is the left headlamp pod, which has had a small patch welded in and finished with body solder and is dimensionally correct.

This is the right headlamp pod, also finished in body solder. It’s a little difficult perceiving the difference but it is fatter than the other side by a full half inch and, unlike the other, is flattened on top and football shaped. If you were to cut a cross section on the left side you’d have a circle; on the right you’d have an ellipse.

I immediately suspected poor workmanship till I dug up the picture of the car when I bought it, stored in #3’s barn, before any repairs were effected:

And there you can clearly see the bulge in the right pod and its elliptical shape. Just as it left the factory. (Yes, those are whitewall Dunlop Roadspeed SP5s stacked in the background).

As much as I respect the factory originality paradigm I’ve decided I can’t leave this as it is. I’ll be removing all that body solder, cutting out the old pod where it’s out of whack, forming and fitting a properly round patch and re-leading.

Go ahead. Tell me I’m being too fussy, but I just know my eyes would go to that non-symmetry every time I looked at the finished car if I don’t make it right.

Target completion date is next year. It will be the first time the car has been driven in over 50 years.

2 Likes

Ha! Ever see the photos of human faces where they remove one side and reflect the other side over? They’re frequently discussed in the field of plastic surgery because almost all people exhibit some degree of asymmetry, even those that some people consider models of perfection.

Most surgeons would never acquiesce to pursuing perfect symmetry because it ultimately looks unnatural. Then again this study would suggest that your relentless pursuit is a biological attempt to find your perfect (car)mate.

I have no doubt you’re right, Erica. This is Jane’s face:

She was a lovely woman with a tragic life that ended too soon.

Yup, and I guess my point is that sometimes the true beauty of a hand made creation lies in its imperfections. I honestly doubt I’d ever look at your lovely car and give even a passing thought to it’s half inch wider light lamp pod.

I’m the opposite. I’m hoping to visit Nick at some point, and I desperately need to remember to ask “Are you sure those lamp pods are symmetrical?”

3 Likes

You are more than welcome, Andrew. You can take my E for a spin, the XK too if it’s done - if it isn’t done I’ll lend you my second pair of work coveralls and show you where the hand cleaner is kept.

Off to the garage to gauge and plot asymmetrical contours.

1 Like

why does one side appear round while the other is oval? are you planning to remove the flat spots from the fender or add matching flats to the other side? how did you manage to get the grill so far off center?

The bonnet, including the grille, are perfectly centred. What you’re seeing is parallax error from the camera lens angle in addition to the asymmetry of the pods. Why one side appears round while the other oval is the issue I’m illustrating. If I were to introduce matching flats to the other side I’d be duplicating the error, so I will be removing the metalwork on the oval side and redoing it.

I took and uploaded this quick video an hour or so ago but thinking now I should complete the grid exercise to illustrate the issue better and then take another short video. Be right back.

your work is perfect nick! you missed the sarcasm as I know you have endless hours checking and rechecking to get it right. just hope you responded BEFORE running out and checking again.

No problem. No nuances in text communication. It’s what emoticons are for, though I seldom use 'em.

It’s been a laid back day in the shop but now I have a better mental picture of what’s ahead. And it’s really easy to take a video and upload it. Takes mere minutes. Wish more folks would do it, especially technical stuff like this.

Done for the day.

Time for a glass of wine.

Realising I should have posted this thread in the XK forum.

I’m reading the article up here in my office as I sip my cab. The very same phenomenon happens with cars. Symmetry is equated to beauty, and some people have a more discerning eye. Concours judges, I suppose, fit into that category but also would-be buyers. I expect this will be a high value car once done but only if it’s done right.

Nick, I’m wondering if you have the actual chrome headlamp rings which you intend to use?
You could then temporarily fit up the headlamp rings to both pods, which might help you to quantify and to visualize any asymmetry?
Or maybe it wouldn’t be very much help if the very front portions of both pods are round.

Not to introduce more doubt, but are you absolutely certain the chubby side isn’t the correct one? :wink:

Cool grids though!

I have all the parts for the car, including the rechromed headlamp rings. But, yes, the headlamp flanges are both perfectly round.

Yup. There is very little body solder in the straight side - essentially all around where the panel was spot welded to the wing - and a load of it on the chubby side. There were four different patches welded onto this panel as well as a patch below, in the wheel well, and then it was finished with body solder. The panel went oval when those patches were welded in and excess solder was used to attempt to blend it into the wing.

Have to admit I was tempted to ask the very same question, just for fun! Seriously that is very nice work.

It’s much clearer in the flesh. I think the right side pod was pushed down by the original bodyman at the factory. That lowered it’s crown about half an inch and splayed out the sides to yield an oval cross section. The second bodyman attempted to preserve the original shape and in the process made it even more oval.

Off to dinner.

You know, when Jaguar sat down to draw up the bodies for the continuation XK-SS production, they had access to several cars that they knew, or believed to be, unmolested. Of course, these days, they just scan the model with a six axis laser and produce a 3D model to any accuracy you desire. What they found was that no two were exactly alike and not one was truly symmetrical side-to side.

Exactly right, Mike. One of the selling points of the lightweight recreations I believe is they’re more symmetrical than the originals.

As Erica points out these are essentially handbuilt cars and no two are precisely the same - those factory films of cars rolling off the line depict it well. That variability can be charming or a distraction.

The more I look at this, and I’ll know more tomorrow after I’ve removed the pounds of body solder in the area, the more I perceive a compounded error (of which I have made my fair share). The original factory assembly though asymmetrical was likely in the charming zone and the first attempt to restore it swung the needle into the red.

Hello,

XK’s were indeed handbuilt, and not very precise.
On my Xk140 the left door is 2cm shorter that the right one.
My Xk150 headlamp pod on the right fender is more to the front than the left one.
When you measure up everything lot’s of differences between both sides.
And this is common on all XK’s.

regards,
Peter Jan

Hello

There is a lovely story about big Healeys, but it might apply to other marques of the same era.

On the assembly line workers would take a panel to fit onto the car, if it didn’t fit they would try another until they found one that did. At the end of the day all the panels that didn’t fit were sent to the spare parts sections of the dealerships.

If you had an accident & needed a new panel from spare parts then you had to try & make this panel which previously had been rejected fit your car.

Cheers Peter