XK120 Alt conversion

'53 XK120 DHC. Been trying to find wiring to switch from generator to alternator. Had decided to just keep the generator then changed my mind again because I do want to install outlets for cell and GPS. I’m really surprised no one has wiring info to do this. If I ever figure it out, I’ll have them drawn up tp share them with the next guy facing this issue. New wiring diagram from MOSS is ready to go in and some have said switching to alternator needs a special harness. MOSS tech guy says no it doesn’t but had no info on the wiring. Some say to get a dummy voltage regulator but I can’t find a 9 terminal one. Seems like there is no way to do it so I’m back to the generator.

Hi John…I did give this link on your previous post… …is it usefull for what your after…I mentioned the harness and advised that you check that its a harness for an alternator rather than dynamo…typically connections for alternator will be different and as the alternator has a higher currect output the wireing will probably be thicker/upgraded in places…Bobs XK120 Restoration: January 2013 also a diagram for a 150 alternator conversion…it may be of use…iv just google searched xk120 alternator conversion and there are quite a few posts here on jag lovers…so worth you searching here… [xk] Alternator Conversion .Steve

1 Like

You do not have to convert to negative ground or add an alternator to charge/power your phone and GPS unit. You can wire in a auxiliary cig lighter female plug (on a pigtail, w a fuse), or a hidden USB panel under the dash .

Aa long as these are. It grounded thru anything but the hookup wire, you can reverse their polarity and use modern plug in devices.

Warning: many cellphones have grounded external cases, meaning you can short the car battery thru any exposed metal on your cellphone housing. NOT GOOD!!! That’s why there is a fuse and why you need a non-conductive phone case.

Anyway, that’s what I have used in my positive-ground, generator equipped xk120 for the last 10 years. Works great.

John

Thanks but the harness does NOT have to be special for the alt conversion. The local (140 miles away) vintage restoration shop showed me the wiring and said there is no special harness for it. MOSS said the same thing. Really surprising no one on the forum has done it or at least giving the info. I’m going to stay with positive ground and the generator.

Thanks. I’m staying with the generator and positive ground. Too much hassle trying to get info to convert.

Hi John…the link i posted above was from someone who has done the conversion…with all the details…all tbe info is out there and on the forum…but you need to do some of the work yourself…a harness for a car with dynamo is not the same as a harness for an alternator…Steve