XK120 OTS seat runners

Hi all,

I am just making some seat runner tapped floor plates for the 1952 OTS but thinking forward to fitting, I have a question. Were the floor plates fitted above the floor under the carpets or below the floor - I’m thinking the former?

On the subject of seat frames, my car has the painted frames but the stop at the back end of the lever isn’t present and there is no evidence of it ever having been. My chassis number is 661004 and Viart says the stop was fitted from 660722. Not that it really matters but I was wondering if these frames were original to the car?

In our 52 FHC, the plates are under the floor.

Definitely under the floor.

My levers have a tab hook on the rear end to catch in the slots.

I would think they all would have this.
Viart may have been mistaken.

My tapped bars are under the floors and held to the floors by countersunk screws.
There are also 3/8" thick plywood rectangle shims covered in vinyl to raise the runners up off the carpeting.

Seat frame late XK120

Ahh, thanks Mike, it prevents the hook jumping out of place, which mine has done a few times.

Thanks all. Ah okay, so I originally thought they were underneath the then from a couple of images, one from Viart and the other from a UK parts supplier made me think they were perhaps on top under the carpet.

The holes closer to the middle are shown countersunk (and in Viart with the setscrews pointing downwards. Are the 1/4" UNF setscrews meant to go in from the underside then with nuts above the floor? The middle holes on Rob’s look to be threaded with the screws going in from above?

I understand the theory - seats bolt to runners, runners bolt to plates and plates bolt to floor but I’m not sure which way the setscrews go and which holes in the plate are meant to be threaded!

Yep that’s what I meant Mike, mine are like Rob’s without the stop. Viart states this change occurred at 660722 but mine has the earlier type.

All 4 holes in the bar are threaded 1/4" but I don’t remember if it was BSF or UNF.
2 screws just hold the bar in place under the floor. 2 more hold the runner and packing shim after the carpet is in. All 4 screws go in from the top, no nuts.

Thanks Rob that makes sense. Only thing I don’t understand then is the images I attached in my last message show countersunk holes. I don’t see why these would be needed if the holes are threaded and the setscrews come through from above?

Hi Martin the countersunk holes in your bars fit over the “depressed” countersunk holes in the steel floor…dont know definatly for a 120 but on my 150(bars look the same) the holes on the floor arnt just drilled…they are drilled and "stamped/depressed(to create the counter sunk)… then fit into the countetsunk hole in the bar…Steve

I did this a while back on my 120 OTS. The centre two holes which attach the bar to the wooden floor were, if I recall, threaded, so the countersunk machine screws which pass through the floor from above thread straight into the bar. If not threaded, then nuts underneath the bar would do the job just as well. The holes in the wood floor need to be countersunk so the screw heads sit flush with the surface. I see no need for the bars themselves to have countersunk holes, at least for wood floors. I’m doubtful if tapered packing pieces under the runners were original to OTS cars.

Right, the countersink is only needed on the FHC/DHC which had steel panel floors, to get the screw heads to sit down flush. The OTS with plywood floors would have countersunk holes in the plywood for the same reason, and probably did not have the countersink in the bars until the introduction of the FHC in '51.
As to packing pieces, we discussed that a few years ago. Should be in the archives.

Ah brilliant thanks all. Yep I see now, I guess with the FHC there would be a dimple pressing on the floor where the setscrew goes through and as you say, the threaded plates would have been the same for all flavours or 120 (and possibly 140 and 150 too).

Regarding positioning on the floor, I suppose the seat should be right back as far as possible against the rear crash roll when the seat rails are at their rearward extent?