XK120 OTS spare tire tray question

The third previous restorer/owner of the dead XK120 I’ve been tinkering with off and on for 26+ years didn’t get the boot floor repair quite right. In addition to being a multi-layered steel sandwich it was set 3/8" too high, which was the thickness of body solder I removed today that had been applied as an aesthetic fix. Looked good till you opened the boot lid. The rearmost lip of the panel was cut down a 1/2" or so to allow the boot lid to close. I’ll post pics of the surgery if it interests anyone.

Anyway, I need to know how the boot floor was configured originally to fab the replacement panel. Can any one of you kind, similarly afflicted XK120 restorer/experts point me in the direction of pictures of said panel, top and bottom?

Many thanks.

Let me know if you want to see those pics.

I don’t have a 120 but yes to the pictures please.

Absolutely. This is how it looked with the boot lid closed. Not so bad.

but this is how it looked from the underside. Big chunks of lead to disguise the poor panel fit.

This was the clearance at the rear vs the fuel tank pan, almost half an inch too high

You can see the steel break line and the added lead below fairly clearly

here being melted away

here the deed is done. Almost two pounds of lead

closeup of the right rear clip with the lead removed

this with the boot lid in the closed position, high elevation of boot lid floor clearly evident

here’s the boot floor cut away. Notice the difference in elevation between the sides of the boot and the fuel tank support, also the crude patch - to be replaced

this is the underside of the bodged boot floor

and this is the top side, what you see when the boot is open

what I need to know is how those last two pics differ from original.

I have a lot of photos from my FHC restoration. if you can advise if they are the same I am happy to send.

I expect they’re the same, Phil. I’ll know for sure when I see them.

Thanks!

Cool. Soon as get back to the ranch I’ll send them

07714 759198

Thanks muchly, Phil.

That pic’s definitely helpful. It appears the re-construction I’ve just removed might be the same as originally put together - a pic of the underside would confirm, but this is how it is as removed:

The triangular stiffener is rearmost and the boot floor panel is spot welded over top of its forward flange. Then there’s a separate flat panel spot welded to the bottom of that triangular stiffener forming a three layer steel sandwich. There’s a rectangular stiffener spot welded to the underside and forward edge of the floor panel, onto which the fuel tank tray is bolted.

Question is, is this the correct original configuration?

With best regards
Philip Dobson

Beautiful work, Phil, and thank you. It looks like the schematic above your post might be accurate after all.

heres hoping. ( I hope I haven’t crashed the server not sure how many times I might have pressed send!)

I have not done the bodywork. the guy that has is an old school tradesman. SOOOO talented.

[Image][Image]

Bingo. The three layer steel sandwich is the correct configuration.

Thanks to you both.

I made this drawing in Aug 2013 when somebody else was asking about the spare tire tray.

Fabulous. Thank you, Rob.

(Spare tire tray, not boot floor)

Phil, that is some pretty nice work ! I’m a DIY body/ paint guy and my work is a mix of “old school” and “late for school” !

I’ve taken the liberty to change the thread title for posterity.

Thanks for the help, gents. Repairs are done. I had the local metal shop make up the four pieces required to construct the spare tire tray and I spot welded it together. A hundred bucks well invested:

A few pics of the reconstructed area:

from the underside:

Now onto tweaking the boot lid fit vs the rear clip.

1 Like

VERY impressive work, Mister Saltarelli!