XK120 radiator rebuild

Thanks Chris, that fits perfectly. I assume your order number is P102 9.
Interesting to see that your earlier radiator serial number 7165 was placed on chassis number #677577 whereas e.g. chassis # 677609 (only 32 later than yours) had a much later radiator serial number 7626 (461 later than yours). But then we should of course also take into account that all three models in LHD/RHD were built on the same production line and they all received that same radiator (delivered in rather large batches).

Bob K.

Christopher,

Yours is one of the early produced radiators that had a different plate, immediately recognizable by the use of Order Number C 267 (instead of the P102 order number) and by the addition of Oldfield Lane. Your plate is of importance because a number of my conclusions/assumptions have to be changed now.

The highest number I had so far under order number C267 was 301 and yours extends this production batch considerably. We now also have to conclude that there is proof that the second radiator type C.3463/1 was also manufactured with Order Number C267. It is unclear why Marston didn’t use order number P 102 1 but C267 instead, but I believe that the production run of the new XK 120 radiator had been started up in the old (read smaller) Marston factory at Oldfield Lane, whereas “mass production” was taken over by the larger factory at Armley Road (both in Leeds).

I also assumed that there was no “overlap” in serial numbers between Order number C267 and P102 2 (the first production batch with the P102 number). Now we have to conclude that there is a double count in serial numbers as your number 795 is higher than the first number we found in production run P 102 2 so far which is 212. In addition, Urs Schmid shows a car with radiator serial number 678 on the P102 2 production order so there is definitely a.double count in serial numbers.

I now have to study whether there are other implications w.r.t. the total number of radiators produced and whether the first production run C267 has to be added up to the cumulative of all P102 numbers.

So a real discovery Christopher!

Bob K.

That’s a very early rad, Christopher - from your chassis number the build date looks to have been about April 1950. I believe the early radiators had a brass bottom outlet pipe, and the later ones (like mine) were of cast iron and of a slightly different shape.

Chris

Now you’re getting me interested, Bob! Just out of interest, what approximate tag numbers would you expect my early 1950 car to have? Did I read that the repro plates are not that correct?
Chris

Chris,

The very first radiator version C.3463 (with the hole for the starting handle) was used until March 1950, followed by the second version C.3463 which was used in production until September 1950. So you will have one of the two. In total during that period about 800 cars have been built.
Based on the earlier discussed Marston plate of Christopher Potempa, there are sufficient reasons to assume that all these had the special plate with Order Number C267 and the text Oldfield Lane.
Now the question is in what month your car was built, in order to determine the serial number.
I assume the figure of 95 cars still built in the year 1949.
This would imply that in January 1950 the serial number would start around 95 (rounded figures)
At the beginning of February the serial number would have been around 150
Beginning of March around 215
Beginning of April it would have been at a level of 255.
I don’t know exactly what your definition is of “early 1950” but the above should provide you the possibility to check your own serial number.
I doubt whether the “Oldfield Lane” Marston tag is remanufactured.and you need that version in any case. See photo with another example.

Bob K.

Sorry, Bob - I left out the month - I meant to say early December 1950 - how stupid! That puts a whole new slant on things, I imagine! I’ve just put you to unneccesary extra trouble.
Chris

Thank you for your input on these C-order radiators Bob. I learned something new here.

Hi Bob,

OTS 674213 built end August 53 has P102-9 and serial number 6665.

Best regards

Thomas

Chris,
No problem: I liked the exercise!
December 1950 is much easier. You must have the “regular” Marston Excelsior plate with Order Number P102 2. The Serial Number is more difficult but on basis of the monthly production figures I guess that early December 1950 the number should be around or slightly above 1230. But again: due to the “batch wise delivery” of these radiators the number might vary +/- 100.

Reproduction plates look OK and are not expensive to buy. But always check against an original plate. Mike Spoelker made the photo below that shows the dimensions of the plate. This is a Mk VII plate but only the Order Number is different.
Also 2 other original Marston plates with order Number P102 2 for the correct lay-out.

Bob K.

1 Like

Thomas,

One of the disadvantages of making spreadsheets is that you will find “anomalies” and this looks like one of them.
Although there is always a certain tolerance in these serial numbers (due to stocking issues) your number 6665 is closer to December 1952 or January 1953. Serial number 6824 has been used on a December 1952 car and serial number 6585 belongs even to the previous order number P102 8.
The 3 cars built in July 1953 on my list have 67xx serial numbers.
So could your August 1953 Jaguar XK 120 have a replacement (original) radiator from an earlier XK 120?

Bob K.

The serial number tag went missing on my 120 when I had the radiator recored. I looked for a correct style replacement for 15 years. Finally, I expanded the search to include models that at least had the correct tag, if not numbers. A beat up radiator from a Mk7 showed up on eBay. I paid him his asking price and told him to keep the radiator, just send me the tag.

That’s very helpful, Bob - thanks! I’d be interested in advice about how one should go about soldering a plate on. Obviously, it’s easier with the rad out and laid horizontally. Type of solder, preparation, etc? I have a small blowtorch.
Chris

Chris,

That was a job for the man who repaired my radiator…

I’m not an expert but I guess that first you first have to remove all paint and go back to the bare brass or copper or whatever it is made of. Then you need to sand/clean it very carefully and you need the typical soldering “flux” those guys use for to create a better flow and adhesion. And don’t come to close to all the existing joints as you may create a new leak with your torch.

For an expert it’s a 5 minute job so if you know an old fashioned radiator repair shop nearby…

Bob K.

Chris:

I removed my Marston tag prior to getting the radiator re-cored and simply put it back on using silicone seal, that was many years ago and it hasn’t moved.

Chris.

JP Weld. It holds freeze-out plugs in, it’ll hold a plate to a radiator.

I’m wondering. Did Marston take the time to mask the plate before painting, or did they wipe off the paint before it dried, or did they just paint it with the rad?

Is the radiator plate sold by Moss engraved or painted. At $8.95 I’m guessing printed. I’ve been so pissed when they come screen printed.

For the MGA data plate, Moss used to furnish one that’s screen printed. For a correct plate, I sourced an engraved data plate made by a fellow in Belgium who makes plates in his basement workshop. Correct font, kerning, weight of details and lines. Perfect, but >$80.00 plus shipping IIRC.

They were apparently painted black when the rad was painted. However, most people seem to like polishing them up! Mine will be black.

I’d be interested to know that too, Mitchell. JB Weld sounds like a good idea.

Never considered anything other than soldering, Chris. But adhesive of some sort sounds a lot easier!