XKEdata.com updating

I believe I know the answer, but just want to confirm. Is there a way to remove old photos from XKEdata.com and update them with new photos? Some months ago, I thought I would add my S1.25 to XKEdata. I listed the s/n and added a few photos, including a duplicate, just to see how the site worked, but quickly realized I did not read far enough to learn that while I can add a photo, I cannot then later remove it. I did email the site, but as the site indicated, I did not get an answer. As I am doing some minor work to my car, I would like to add photos, but I am not going to do so if I cannot easily update those photos at a later time. So I am just checking if photos can be updated or if I should simply do no more posting.
Thanks,
Tom

@paul_spurlock should be able to help.

From the xkedata site …

Important

We do NOT delete images unless there is a copyright violation. THINK CAREFULLY before you upload an image, it’s here to stay. We will ignore, without response, all requests to remove images that aren’t copyright complaints (i.e., someone uploaded images they didn’t have the right to upload in the first place). Owning a car does not mean you own all images of it.

1 Like

I had a gripe with xkedata.com a few years ago. Their “condition” categories were limited to something like 4 choices, and there was a big gap between “restored” and “scruffy driver”.

My old car was wonderfully original, and someone who had never seen the car in person had uploaded it, and classified it as a “scruffy driver”. I didn’t think was fair at all, and I posted my concerns here.

The responses I got were that there was nothing that could be done, but the car was quietly reclassified, and if I remember correctly, more condition options were created. Maybe you will get similar results.

As I understand, there are a couple primary reasons they do not delete photos. First is that it requires work to respond to possibly many requests, and it’s a free site and done as a hobby. But the bigger reason is they want to create a record of a car’s history. It’s possible that photos could show a car that’s scruffy or has certain issues and then later the car is changed or restored and someone could try to claim it is original or otherwise misrepresent the history of the vehicle. By ensuring that photos do not get deleted, a more complete record of the car is supposed to be established.

1 Like

‘Condition’ and other data fields can be modified by clicking on ‘Edit Data’.

A record is kept of all changes and can be viewed by clicking on: Database Updates: Show dataplate edits.

So data can be kept current (as things change) but all photos and history remain on the site.

1 Like

The entry could not be edited at the time…maybe 2008.

Maybe this was changed as a result of my argument that people with no firsthand knowledge of a car should not have the final say on this sort of thing.

Carlos, yes that is what I saw after I posted the photos.
Thank all of you for confirming what I thought was true, no updating.

Paul, thanks for the suggestion, I may try. But it does not solve my issue that if I post something in the future that I lose control.

Yes, that may be, but if I post something today, I may decide in the future that I want to update it or even delete it. The website does not provide for that. I disagree, but it is not my website.
Tom

Look at any post you made here on J-L more than one month ago - I think you’ll find you can no longer edit or delete it.

I pretty much assume that if I put something on the internet it is going to be out there forever.

As noted above, there are reasons why XKEData documentation cannot be undone, otherwise an unscrupulous seller might rewrite history to present a car as being different that what was previously documented. This has occurred with one seller I recall who was rolling back the odometer on an E-Type. Confronted with the evidence of XKEData documentation he said ‘Well, that’s not against the law in Florida’.

1 Like

Well… not surprised.

People rate like this:

-The Dalai Lama.

-The Pope.

-Most old car-hobby folks.

-new car sales folk.
-lawyers.
-pond scum
-used car sales folk.

2 Likes

Ahem . . . where do us lawyers fall?

I’ll be firing off a nasty-gram to them. If I took the picture then I am the copyright holder of that image. They had better talk to a copyright lawyer before they make statements like that.

Wow Scott, you shouldn’t leave yourself so open. I could have hit that hard.

Like, there wasn’t enough page space to drop the dots far enough below Used car sales folk. Or…

3 Likes

…FIFY. Yer welcome. :grimacing:

Don’t understand where you’re coming from on this. Re-read their statement.

They only take down a photo if they’re notified it is a copyright violation, i.e. someone uploaded a photo they got from someone else without copyright permission to do so. For example, someone copies a photo from a magazine an uploads it onto the site without the magazine’s permission. Seems pretty clear and perfectly consistent with IP law.

And they say just because you own a car doesn’t mean you have the copyright to photos people may have taken of it. For example, that magazine took a picture of your car on the street - it may be your car but it is their photo. Again, appropriate and clearly consistent with IP law.

What about these policies deserves a nasty-gram?

3 Likes

Precisely.

Was wondering the same thing.

2 Likes

Doesn’t that depend on how they use or misuse the photo they took.

IIRC, back in the early days of XKEdata.com some people on J-L were harvesting data from ebay auctions, and any other site where car information appeared and uploading it, apparently for posterity and I suspect without notifying and gaining permission from the then current owner of the car. Do the owners of those cars have any recourse if they don’t want that information displayed on the internet?

I’m not attacking or knocking XKE-lovers.com. I think it’s a valuable resource. I’m just posing the question for consideration.

IMO, the current owner of a vehicle should be able to add and delete details about their car as they see fit.

I agreed: bona fide owners should have the final say on whatever data is posted online.

That’s EXACTLY how my “scruffy” car ended up on there.

I wish my 64 was as scruffy!