XKEdata.com updating

If THATS “scruffy?”

I’m a skinny Chinese …well, never mind.

:grimacing:

It wouldn’t look so scruffy if you’d clean out the tire treads. :smiley:

Seriously, that’s a good looking car.

1 Like

I think that car is his previous car. I don’t think he currently owns an E Type.

That is correct… but I have a standing offer to buy the car back if/when the current owner decides to sell it.

It really bothers you that non-current owners participate here, doesn’t it? That’s a very strange trait…

3 Likes

I, on the other hand, love it Expertise is where you find it.

Not at all. I just remember you were looking for a non rusty, completely original, non molested early car and I told you good luck. Then last year when I asked you if you had found THAT car, you said YES. Which I knew was false.

I’d be concerned that images of bystanders can be posted. With facial recognition software as good as it is there could be some legal problems if an owner posts but then can’t then remove an image upon ‘second thought’ or out of concern for a minor’s or (now) ex-wife’s privacy or similar.

It isn’t illegal to roll back mileage on any speedometer over 25 years old as there is no representation of any mileage attested to on such titles (in all states I know of). I’m sure Nissonger will gladly re-set a speedo to zero or anything else upon rebuild. Replacing a defective speedo with one found on eBay has the same result.

I haven’t looked… Does XKEdata allow you to remove a car entirely from the database?

1 Like

Many other forums take over copyright ownership if you upload a photo to that site. It’s in their Terms and Conditions (which of course almost no one reads), and you’ll often find your photos are now watermarked with that site’s copyright notice. I don’t know the details about how something like eBay assigns copyright ownership of photos, but I suspect that uploading any photos to eBay you are assigning any rights to that photo (if it is your photo) to eBay. If others are taking that photo from eBay and uploading to XKEdata, that is now eBay’s concern if it wishes to assert ownership. But I’d doubt they would, as they don’t have anything to gain or lose.

You own the car, but you don’t own or control its image unless you are the one taking the photograph when it is public. By owning the vehicle, you have control over whether the car is seen in the public domain. But once you place it in the public, someone who photographs it is the creator of that piece of art - the art is the photo, not the car - and they have ownership of that image. An exception is if the car is in a restricted exhibit such as a museum or other event who themselves are claiming ownership over images taken in their facility; typically a ticket for such a situation will state something like “photos allowed for personal use but the event/venue owns copyright for commercial purposes”.

I disagree about a current owner being able to delete anything about their car, for some of the same reasons previously expressed like odometer rollbacks, patch jobs covering up corrosion that could be seen in prior photos, etc. Again, you own the car, but you do not own its history. Perhaps one doesn’t want their license plate on the web, but again you have control over that by not taking it into public.

Ben, using one of your photographs as an example, let’s say you do want that photo of your “scruffy” (a point which I think most of us would disagree!) car out there on XLEdata. But there are two other cars in that picture (if those are both yours, my example is moot but go with me here). Should the owner of the red E type under the awning be able to demand the photo removed? Or the owner of the XK in the background? How about the owner of the awning? Or the fence?

With XKEdata, if the owner of a car believes there is false information about the car they have the opportunity to present that to the readers by updating photos or using the comments.

In XKEdata, a prior owner may have uploaded assorted photos and information as they believe it in the best interests of the Jag community. They may hold the copyrights to those photos. As a current owner, should you have the right to demand their information be removed? It wasn’t your information and you don’t own the rights to those photos - they do, and they exercised those rights and placed the photos on the website. It wasn’t your information that was previously included, so under what rights do you feel you should be able to exert removal based on being a current title holder to the vehicle?

If one thinks about this in a much broader context, the incredibly slippery slope becomes apparent. Say you are the new owner of a home where a crime was committed. Should you be able to go to all news outlets who reported that crime and be allowed to require them to remove all reference so that perhaps the next owner will never find out about it? A news outlet like the NY Times has archives which serve the public interest - should someone be able to demand the purge a photo or info from those archives because they are new owner of a building or something otherwise featured in a story?

I’m not an IP attorney, so I can’t speak to the finer points of copyright law, but am somewhat well read on it as it relates to photography (one of my other obsessions). I would love to hear more details from someone with a JD who can enlighten all of us much better.

1 Like

That wasn’t false at all…I found, and submitted an offer on an original-paint, 29k mile S1. That sale didn’t work out, but the owner and I are still in touch, and I may still buy that car one day…you’ll see, don’t worry.

For a guy who has a harder time controlling his temper than my 2-year old, you waste a lot of time questioning what other people are doing here.

2 Likes

I’m kinda like James Stockdale.

:grimacing:

Would you like the owner’s email address…he’s a J-L member.

Are you for real?! My FIRST response to those three posts was to agree with your rushing to hump my leg

Guys, fer chrissakes… take it off list.

2 Likes

You must have missed the part in my first post where I referred to it as my “old” car? Pretty sneaky the way I hid that in there, huh?

It’s been two years, but I’m glad you’re keeping track, because I’m not. I DID find the car I was looking for, but we also had a baby, and bought a second home in the meantime, so I apologize for not meeting your timeline.

1 Like

Temper, temper…

Yes, it becomes very complicated. As a member of the social media generation, I’m actually not too concerned about pics of my car being posted somewhere. I find pics of my cars on Instagram quite often, and I have no idea who took them!

My issue (as the registered owner) was not being able to edit the text of a 3rd party. That seems to have been resolved these days, so I have no issue with the way the site is handled these days.

1 Like

Though most definitely NOT a fan/devotee of Instagram–or FB, either–I was still surprised that I didn’t find any pix of Tweety on various soyshall media.

Ha! I’ve seen numerous pics of your car on Instagram. I’ll send you a link next time one pops up.

1 Like

Appreciate that!! Love to “track” its electronic journeys!

Over the years, I saw many folks taking pix of it, so I thought somewhere, someone must be posting them.

I can’t promise any of them are recent pics. If I had to bet, a vast majority of them have probably been people swiping your BaT ad pics, looking for cheap “likes”.

But, next time I see one, I’ll pass it along.

1 Like