XKEdata.com updating

Well…A nice restto mod, with a Vette V8!

https://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/361122/1965_Jaguar_Other.html

Oops… I mixed up two ads! My bad!

Jeffrey, and others, have obviously made some valid points. There are many ways of looking at any topic. I do not know what XKEdata’s legal obligations are. But I feel from a standpoint of attracting posters to the site, they would want to be user friendly, and, IMO, they are not.

I recognize that many things that get posted, including my posts here on J-L, can live for a long time. But keep in mind what I said in my initial post. I posted a photo just to see how it worked. I posted three, and by mistake, two were the same, and none were to be long term as I am still working on the car. But I thought it would be “nice for the community” if I added another XKE. But I could not correct my incorrect post, not even the one from 15 seconds earlier! I am glad I did not click on the wrong photo and post a photo of my kid’s birthday party- it may be there forever.

And the logic that once some history is posted, it should be there because of some “policing” of selling used cars is, IMO, ridiculous. Again, it is not my website, but I presume this is a website for car lovers, not to police sales.

I could go on, but…
Tom

2 Likes
3 Likes

“What about these policies deserves a nasty-gram?”

Yes, indeed…

Remember, we are volunteers who are trying to preserve the history and integrity of these classic vehicles. You seem to have forgotten our “list keepers” have not singled you out to screw with you. Take a deep breath and reread what you tped…

LLoyd@INeverHaveSaidAnythingStuupid.com :wink:

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

1 Like

…and… so???..

Mine was more than “scruffy” and ended up third place nationally in the driven class, and is also a very dependable cross country driver.

LLoyd

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.

1 Like

Several people here have touted the database as a tool for maintaining the integrity of future sales. So, think of a scenario where I went to sell my car, and described it as a nice, original car with no previous restoration work, and none needed.

Now think of the prospective buyer going to xkedata.com and seeing it described as “scruffy”. Who do they believe? How would they know who created that database entry?

Was the entry created by the current owner, a previous owner with intimate knowledge of the car, or was that “scruffy” assessment made by someone 2,000 miles away, based on some lousy eBay pics taken by a lazy middle-man seller?

Do you not see the potential implication?

1 Like

Jag Jeff, please take this cursing off list!!

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I think as well. I see it as a site for hobbyists not as a site designed to protect potential buyers from fraud.

An earlier post made a comparison to newspapers, stating once a story is out there it’s out there. That’s true of the traditional newspaper that was delivered to everybody’s and anybody’s front door. If the newspaper got a story wrong it issued a retraction and if damage was done the paper incurred legal liability. Today, in the digital age, I see stories all the time that state (paraphrasing) “This is a developing story, some facts contained herein may inaccurate and will be corrected as the story develops”. Digital media often changes the content and doesn’t leave the original out there for all to see.

I’m not a lawyer and don’t clam to be qualified to offer legal advice, but. . . . If XKE Data.com is to be seen as a resource to protect the integrity of the data they hold to protect buyers from fraud wouldn’t they have to take ownership of the data and be responsible for the content, both the accurate and the inaccurate? Would that include verification of it’s accuracy? Would they want to open up that can of worms? I know I wouldn’t if I were in their shoes.

but doesnt this hold true to the age old problem of buying/selling anything? how many “one owner” or “only driven to church”. “MINT” condition cars are advertised as such that end up not being that way?

I doubt anyone would seriously take a single line entry off a third party website to indicate a cars condition if they are really buying it. I am sure we all look at cars on BAT or XKE and disagree with the rating the owners/sellers give at times.

1 Like

I think all lot is being made about something fairly small. My car was described as a “ scruffy driver” by someone in the past. I believe it was exactly as is envisioned here, as a result of someone seeing it on eBay, copying the photos, and adding a description.
Frankly I enjoyed seeing some history on the car. Prior to my acquisition it was repainted and cleaned up.
When I acquired the car, I entered current photos, and changed the description. It’s next caretaker will be able to go to the site and see how the car has changed over the years.
I think it’s great. And I have no desire to delete the older photos, even if they show the car looking less than ideal.
I understand, in certain unusual circumstances, not being able to delete photos is disappointing. But life is a series of compromises, and I think the benefits of people not being able to rewrite history outweigh the minor inconveniences that might occasionally show up.

3 Likes

Touché

If it’s seen as a database created for preserving posterity, then you might be surprised how much “weight” it carries.

One of my other car passions is Cortinas, and the Lotus Cortina Registry keeps a database of existing and “lost” cars. If you’re trying to sell a Lotus Cortina, and it’s not in that database, you better be prepared to take a 20-40% haircut on your sale price.

Now, it’s a slightly different situation, as there are fake Lotus Cortinas, and no fake E-types out there, but don’t underestimate the power of an on-line database. This has only become more so with the popularity of BaT, and people’s increasing willingness to buy cars sight unseen from the other side of the country/world.

But don’t you see that as advantageous for Lotus Cortina owners, (legitimate) sellers and buyers?

Of course…if the information goes in their favor.

There have been cases where the car’s provenance has been listed as ambiguous, despite the owner’s protests, and that has hurt sales. The only “solution” to that situation is to have the car certified by an inspector, which has costs and delays associated with it.

My point was that on-line databases have become more than a curiosity in this day and age.

I’m not at all convinced that the popularity of BaT is even remotely connected to an online database or affected by any online database. Typically BaT has a hundred photos or so, plus videos, with the seller interacting with the community through questions and answers. All the while people familiar with the car model comment about what they see. ( For an E, you’ll often see David, Lynn, Ray, others contribute their knowledge) And then frequently someone in close proximity to the car comments how they have seen the car in person and shares their observations. ( I myself have done this) So it’s not just people buying cars unseen. It’s really much more than that. Which is why it’s so popular.

1 Like

Don’t bet on that: can’t recall exactly the time frame, but there was a thread that dealt with two E Types, fairly far away, both having the same VIN.

Not as bad as Cobras… of the 998 built only 4,000 survive.

7 Likes

Ditto, real Auburn Speedsters: 125 originals, and only 2500 survive.

G’wan, ask any car show wag.

:joy:

You want counterfeit?: Try early mustangs with pony interiors. And 60s Shelby Mustang GT 350s.