After our E-types, what would be our favorite car?

Variety is the spice of life. Don’t wait till you are to old to try something different.

Bill, that’s in your profile, so anybody can read it be clicking your circle, and see some photos too. Out of the post-stream which makes it cleaner. You already have it going, I see.

Jerry

Too late! Nice collection, Dick!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry…I made a mental note when Paul responded to me by name, and I realized my name was no where on my post. Then I thought, “I’ve screwed up here somehow…how come my signature is not showing?” Now i know…thanks for clarifying!

Nice collection Dick. I’ve driven all of those (well not your slalom version but a coupe)…I’ld take the red head. :wink:

Which do you enjoy the most?

They all have their unique qualities. Not pictured is a 1966 427 Vette. It is totally different and enjoyable in a different way. I guess it depends on the mood I am in. The Ferrari is the fastest, Aston handles the best. Corvette has the most torque and actually gets a lot more attention than the others. With Atlanta traffic, the XKE has poor brakes ;and with the original style bias ply tires, poor handling. With the top down on a spring day, it is a great ride though. The race car is race only even though street legal with the street tires on it. No heater, wipers, ventilation, side windows, harsh ride but very very fast in the corners which is what it was built for. Hate to say it but the vehicle that gets the most mileage each year is my truck. Always seem to be hauling something around. Try getting 6 bags of mulch in a Ferrari at Home Depot!

Your comments on the aston intrigue me. I drove a vantage for about a half day and found it dated in its handling and ride. It felt like my 1990 Audi V8 Quattro in its NVH. I really liked that Audi, but it was really dated compared to my newer Audi. Definitely my impression of the aston was not “great handling.” Different tires maybe?

With these newer cars they all seem to trend toward the mean and there is so little difference between similar vehicles, i.e., front engine/rear drive cars, that I tend to favor the best of the era with little reason to hold onto cars that don’t measure up. I had a MB sl500 for awhile, for example, and I just didn’t enjoy driving it more than my A8 daily driver and it didn’t have any other qualities I appreciated, so I got rid of it.

In any event, very cool garage you have. Choices, choices, choices…

Have to agree with that!
pauls

Bill,
I have a lot of learning to do about the 911, don’t think I’ll learn its
all in my lifetime :slight_smile: Have to ask Andrew Waugh about the signature, I
barely know how to use this new one myself. Agree its better but its like
an old dog learning new tricks.
pauls

I went to live in the Uk from late 1982 to the end of 1983 - at the time import rules back into Australia were quite good so I decided to bring a car back with me solely as a money making venture. Tbe car needed to be older than 10 years of age. I looked at UK prices for a range of cars and compared with Aust prices and determined that for cars in my price range, max profit could be achieved by buying a series 3 Etype or a Morgan Plus 8 or a 350/450 Merc SL.

On looking at cars on arrival - the Mercs were generally rusted and expensive at £7000, the Morgans were priced well but just too crude and basic and E-Types were often rusty and about £6500 but I found a well used but sound one for £5500 and bought it and drove it around the UK and Europe for a year and returned with it to Aust - never sold it and still got it over 34 years later.

But when looking for my car I also looked a few other cars and often wonder - what if.

The first was a bright yellow 246GT Dino TARGA - £7500 which I could have just afforded at the time - I often think I should have bought it - I have always loved them and If I could afford one now I would jump at it.

Another was a late Jag XK150S convertible - was £6500 and immaculate except it had a wood dash which had a huge gash in it. Put me right off but in reality nothing easily fixed.

The other was a Aston Martin V8 India Oscar - was only a few years old at the time so I could not have imported it and very expensive. They since dropped to a very low price here a few years back but prices recently have skyrocketted.

So in the past, one of the above would been favourite after the e-type.

However more recently my interests have swung the opposite way and my favourites that I currently own are here:

And a very nice garage too.
Here’s how I park two cars, my 1987 S10 is outside, which is a shame since it’s rust free.
BTW, owning an Aston is my ultimate car ownership dream, but after having the E for 7 years and close to a complete renovation, I don’t think I could let it go for anything.

@paul_spurlock,

I only just noticed your question now.

Signatures in the body of the post are not a feature of Discourse (the software the forum runs on).

If you want to get some users attention (particularly mine as I don’t read every single new post on the entire forum) you can “mention” them by using @username. The system will then notifiy them that they have been mentioned explicitly.

If you are working online then just type “@”, then the beginning of the username., The software will display a pick list of usernames which you can select from. If you are replying via email then you’ll need to figure out the username on your own.

I actually don’t have an E-type yet, but I want one! So that one would still be on my list. However, there are a few others on the list too.

1968 Dodge Charger hemi 4 speed
1953 Jaguar XK120 FHC
1930s Delahaye
Talbot Lago

Besides my XJ6, I have a 1971 Dodge Charger and a 1967 Volvo 1800S currently, but I’m always wanting to add others to the stable.

While I like my '63 FHC it’s not my favorite drive or my favorite of the ones I have. I think my Gordon Keeble is the better one to drive.

Hi Pat,

I don’t think you will be challenged on that one, after all, how many people have ever sat in a Gordon Keeble, let alone driven one? I think the only time I have even seen one live (outside museums) was at last year’s Goodwood Revival and the “road to Wembley” 1966 parade.

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 1S20183 (still my favorite ride, 2nd best is the 456 GT :wink:
Fin.

I’d wager most people have never even heard of one.

When I’d go buy something at the FLAPS and I’d ask for a specific part number because I knew what I wanted the counter guy would still always ask “what car?” “What does it matter, just get me some Champion n9 spark plugs”, I’d think. Then I started telling them 1956 Gordon Keeble, under the assumption they wouldn’t have that in their parts books. Boy was I wrong on that one.

With the Powerball or without? :grinning:

I’d say w/o the Powerball I really like this little number I just picked up:

2002, my favorite year, and 31,000 on it last fall.

With it, probably this one:

1937 Cord roadster…1958 RR Silver Cloud…1935 Ford Victoria coupe…probably the Ford with original flathead would be least problematic and within budget. …no more Jags or exotic stuff for me …I want to usem not just look atem…

Dang! Look at all those E-Type styling cues! Nice car!

Jerry

Yeah, and it even starts! :grin: