E type oil filter

My spin-0n oil filter is leaking on my 71 Etype OTS.
Since it is near the top of the oil crankcase, (similar to most new cars), can it be removed without the loss of oil. Tsk

M41

You will lose what’s in the filter, but the filter block is above the level of the oil in the sump. If you take off the lower hose all bets are off…

Thanks for the reply. Do you know what supplier has the best spin on oil filter. I think I have an O ring problem with the one I installed.

Just a tip it may not be the filter that’s leaking …… it could be the seal between the spin on and the housing …….don’t ask how I know this

I use WIX filters

FWIW……,I posted this a while ago but anyway…,there’s a show on TV called Engine Masters. These guys know their stuff and they tested all the typical filters for flow rate and filtration. The best one that came out of the tests was K&N Gold. It filters down to 10 microns without any significant negative effect on flow rate, when compared with all the others they tested.

Disclaimer……,don’t have one on my car yet but I will have at the next oil change……assuming I find one that fits my spin-on.

Could be the seal from previous filter was left on and then putting new filter over that . Easy to check . I use wix filters

Does the Wix filter fit the original canister on ser 1 1/2, or is it slightly bigger

See this post . WIX oil filter? 3.8

It says 3.8 but is a discussion about spin on filter for your housing. There’s a link to a long discussion on the etypeuk forum which includes opening up filters for a comparison. To me the branded JAG EBC 9658 was superior.

Here’s a link to the uK forum. Hope it works.

https://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16097&hilit=oil+filter+housing+XJIII

My post #42 with comments and destruction pictures on a Jag, Hengst, WIX, and Hastings. With some comments on some others.There were some that thought it not useful. I thought it was just a simple comparison that seemed to be valid and informative.

Assuming you are not talking about spin on replacements; IIRC, the cannisters for the 4.2 are the same regardless of series.