>>>Hello all, happy to join the group<<<

Thank you Jeff. My father was a machinist my trade, and had so much knowledge. I feel so inadequate to try to step in but to honor him, I will do my best.

A few people said that given the right people there to help, we could get the car completely back together in less than 2 months.

Now, to find the parts and people!

2 Likes

Deletedā€¦ thank you

Welcome! About 250 or so cars ahead of mine, so will have the same features. It appears the tough slogging has been done and itā€™s a matter now of completing the assembly and sorting it all out. Looking good, indeed.

2 Likes

Assembly and sorting. I am REALLY good at sorting, the assembly is the part that is incredibly intimidating. LOL

Hoping to find someone local that will be willing to offer in person assistance and I will be happy to pay for their time/knowledge. :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Welcome Candeice. It looks like a beautiful car and hopefully a short sprint to completion. I would suggest that if possible you enlist the help of someone very familiar with e types to assist you in collecting the parts that belong to that car. To identify what parts are yours will be very difficult without someone who recognizes e type parts. Replacing missing ones can be expensive. Is there a jaguar club in your area. Perhaps contact them and see if someone will help. Alternatively if you post the general location where you are someone on this list may be able to help. This is a public list so do not post anything specific. It may be a good idea to delete the photo of the data plate also.

Just saw your last post. Looks like you are on the right track.

1 Like

Welcome, nice looking car. Iā€™m sure youā€™ll complete it well.

You can post multiple pictures in a single post. Just click the up arrow at the top of the dialogue box and select multiple pics. Or, click the up arrow at different times to load pics from different folders in one post.

Where are you located?

2 Likes

Nicole, start small and work up, one baby step at a time. You can do itā€¦
Cheers,
LLynn

2 Likes

Wow, welcome @c1nicole. Sorry for your loss. So cool that your dad left behind a 99.9% restored project for you as he tiptoed to heaven. The most difficult efforts are far behind, and whatā€™s left should be exciting for you to piece together. Iā€™m guessing he waxed nostalgic about his passion every chance he got. Youā€™ll have fun solving the remaining mysteries, and then will remember him every time you shift gears on winding roads in the summer sun. Good on ya for following through in his memory.

1 Like

Actually, it is probably advantageous to establish a public record of the chassis number etc. After all, ,many of us here have that information readily accessible to sites such as xkedata.com. etc.

Nicole, if your dadā€™s car is not listed there already, you might want to add it together with some photos. You can also view photos of similar cars around your build date and chassis number in order to compare.

From your photos, it looks like the car was in the process of having a new interior kit installed when work ceased. Since this is normally one of the last jobs on a restoration, maybe thereā€™s not too much left to do, provided you can find all the bits.

2 Likes

Thank you Geoff.

Random question, why the data plate picture deletion recommendation for? I did delete, just was not sure what the risk of that post was. Thank you for educating me on things I do not understand. :+1:t3:

I am in in central Oklahoma.

My wife and I will be in the Woodward area, Memorial Day weekendā€¦ maybe a meet-up?

1 Like

Sorry about your father. Didnā€™t your dad leave a Corvette BB to you, too?

Welcome and best of luck with the E

1 Like

Welcome Nicole. Youā€™ve stumbled across the best source of E-type knowledge on the internet!!

My father passed away just over 4 years ago and he left me his ā€˜68 S1.5 OTS too. In my case, the car was more in ā€œhibernationā€ than ā€œrestorationā€ though! I wasnā€™t able to take possession of the car until just a bit over a year ago, and since then my progress has been slower than Iā€™d like, but itā€™s been a great emotional experience bringing it back. Some of the highlights of my adventure, so far, can be found in the link below, but donā€™t let it scare you - your ā€˜68 looks to be in much better shape than mine! :grinning:

Iā€™m confident the group here will be able to help you through anything you run across. I use this site more than any of the manuals I own!

RobY

2 Likes

Woodward, is that western OK?

We are smack dab in the middle of Oklahoma.

Absolutely we can see if we can set up a meeting place! :+1:t3:

1 Like

CarloM,

Hmmm, now how are you privy to that information? :thinking: You a CFOTr?

Yes, we got the 68 427/390 Vette together. He knew that was my dream car. This is her current status. 68 in booth

1 Like

Rob,

Excited to read your thread. It is a very cool way to honor and remember our Dadā€™s for sure.

As stated many times, I feel completely overwhelmed, but not afraid to do some wrench turning, spend lots of time searching for parts and solve some mysteries.

Speaking of organizing, are cardboard boxes, clear bins or all of the above best for organizing parts??

Good luck on completion of your project. :+1:t3:

Welcome Candiece! I found the best way for me to organize parts was to put them in zip lock bags and label the bag , and then store the parts with other parts from the same system in a plastic tub of some sort. I would then enter the part name and tub location/identifier in an Excel spreadsheet so I knew what I had and where I could find it (usually) :scream:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s about what I thought.

Dad was horrible with computers, but he left a very detailed pen on paper log of every part and they were placed in labeled/numbered ziplocked baggies. Unfortunately, they are strewn everywhere since the car has been moved in the shop a few times and we have to start all over sorting/organizing. Good thing I enjoy organizing and not too many parts left. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

This approach has worked well for me. One thing I was warned about, and learned early on - always label the parts/baggie!! I canā€™t tell you how many times Iā€™ve started with a certain part of the project in mind, thinking ā€œoh, Iā€™ll remember what that isā€, only to get sidetracked and end up working on something I hadnā€™t planned on. Days, weeks, or months could pass before Iā€™d get back to the original plan.

RobY

1 Like

Nicole
Google map says Edmond and Woodward are 2.5 hours/140 miles distant.
I would encourage you to make very effort to link up with Paul ā€“ affectionately referred to as Wiggles. He spent ~40 years wrenching on cars ā€“ 80-90% of them were Jaguar E-types. He has forgotten more about them than Iā€™ll ever know
Craig

2 Likes