Rubber door seals door not closing

Dear Jag Lovers, When I received my 1970 2+2 it did not have any of the door seals. I have installed all of the new rubber door seals ,body and on window frame, on just the passenger side of the car. I did remove the door to do the seal work and reinstalled the door. Everything seams to line-up but I can’t get the door to close all the way. I really think it’s a seal issue. Has anyone run into the same problem and have you found a fix?

Thanks much,
Alf

Are they sponge foam, or the original-style hollow tube seals?

If the former, that is the most likely cause.

Dear Wiggles, They are the hollow tube seals. It really seams to be near the hing area.

Alf

Any idea where to get the sponge foam seals?

Alf

No, because they don’t work.

Ok thanks much for the info.

Alf

:smile: …and 20…

Paul, did you mean to say “If the former”? If not, you’ve confused the hell out of the OP.

In either event, the seals I got from one of the usuals were too big and stiff and the doors did not shut either. I got a set from macgregorukcarparts.com that fit much better, but still required a bit of a slam. After a year, though, they settled in and work quite nicely.

Tony

1 Like

Sorry: the former! thanks for the correction!

Alf. The other supplier that gets mentioned favorably is C.O.H.Baines out of England. Disclaimer. I have not tried their seals myself but it is a name that is frequently mentioned in these discussions and is where I plan to source the seals for my car for what it is worth. It is also often mentioned that trimming some of the thickness off the seals helps.

Thanks so much for the discussion on this. It’s been kind of a pain but I’m in the home stretch. I will do some research and give an update on how it works out.

Alf

1 Like

FYI, they sell the sponges:

“Door Sponge Seals, Moulded to fit A Posts, Sills and Shut Pillars. 6 pce. Car set”

I had problem with my passenger door closing and not sitting flush. After a lot of playing around I determined it was the seal along the bottom of the door opening. I ran a razor blade along the door sill to cut it flush and now the door shuts properly and sits flush with the body.

Hi, I have also used C.O. Baines in the UK, they are the most correct fitting ones I have seen other than NOS
Regards,
Allen

Door seals have been an ongoing issue. Some comparison pics here:

and the followup adding C.O. Baines offerings to the comparison:

Nick, the link in the second window just routes me back to the homepage, of all the forums…?

My doors took a bit of persuasion to close after fitting new seals i.e slam them. two months on and they seem to be behaving better now (compression?)…

Dear Jag lovers,
At the recommendation of some of you to contact MacGregor British Car Parts for the rubber seals for my E-type, I did. I ordered the complete door and and some of the window seals. I just want to thank you guys because my doors now close. The installation of the A pillar seals were much easier to install than the hollow hard rubber seal I installed first. Martin MacGregor is a very nice gentleman to deal with and seems very knowledgeable about the products he sells.

Thanks so much again for you help,
Alf

1 Like