What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 2)

@ScotThompson great job, glad you are taking care of this unexpected issue now versus later down the road. JS

1 Like

Itā€™ll be interesting, and perhaps horrifying, to see what Dick finds on the inside of that poor motor!

Stop it Wiggles! That is not even a nice thought!! :grin:

We already know the head had two bent valves. And the tappet adjustment was way outā€¦but I redid that 3 years ago. I did pull off the pan 3 years ago and inspect bearings and crank plugs. Seems like my efforts have gone to waste. Hereā€™s a picture of a port and valve from 3 years ago. Wouldnā€™t you think the engine had been well cared for according to the amount of money they charged?

1 Like

So was it easier out the bottom or pulling it out the top?

I must have missed what happenedā€¦

[quote=ā€œDick_Maury, post:564, topic:436649ā€]
was it easier
[/quote] Wellā€¦I donā€™t know as Iā€™ve never pulled a Jag engine before. But seeing as one has to get the Reaction Tie Plate out either way, Iā€™d say pulling it out the bottom in itself wasnā€™t difficult. I did get a friend to come help but that was mainly to get it into the truck.
What I had difficulty with was when things didnā€™t go right. E.g., the left side Tie Plate bolts came right out as described in the manual. The right side was a bugger and that lower A-Arm would not rotate downwards sufficiently without persuasion. Note in the pic the right side (18.5") is drooping more than the left side (18.25").

Hey Marco. What went wrong is 3 years ago I started the engine and had no problem except it smoked excessively. I decided to give it a chance to break in. But the IRS and differential needed repair so that took me 3 years to go through everything and I got it back in the car on XMas Day. Then I noticed heavy vapor coming out the breather tube. Water in #5 Cylinder and in the oil pan. Bummer!. It turned out the previous shop had scratched the top of the block deeply from the water passage directly into the cylinder. Once the copper coat failed, it just sucked water into the cylinder. And then I found all the cylinders were way oversized and out-of-round to be fitted with standard pistons! So, Dick is going to rebuild the engine to his high standards and also the gearbox. In the long run, this is a good thing for me, but I wished it had come to light 3 years ago!
You can see the videos at Post #450 in this thread. Just put your cursor on the Post number and scroll up to #450.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update Scott.

Didi you have the engine rebuilt before or did the car come with a rebuilt engine when you purchased it ?

Many times its one step forward and two back with these cars. After Dick is done youā€™ll definitely be a few steps ahead .

Marco

What I did to my E-type today, February 7, 2024, was drive it! Declaring it the earliest start to the driving season likely premature but definitely the earliest in a new year Iā€™ve driven it in 42 years of ownership.

This was also its shakedown run after some engine work, buttoned up yesterday, including

• replaced broken aftermarket upper chain damper
  • replaced Rolon lower chain tensioner with OEM Renold tensioner
  • replaced scalloped camshaft sprocket clamping plates with earlier versions
  • replace as-found disintegrating aftermarket lower chain damper
  • replace leaking teflon front seal with OEM rubber lip seal
  • head rebuild
  • decarbonised pistons
  • installed tappet bucket hold down kits on both sides
  • reshimmed tappets to precisely .006"/.004" exhaust/intake
  • refinished exhaust manifolds with ceramic coating
  • replaced brass exhaust manifold nuts with bronze
14 Likes

WTG!! Life is good!

Amazing the difference in our families: last week was my 67th birthday, and it wouldā€™ve been my dadā€™s 108th!

(We were born same day)

1 Like

So itā€™s OK that I didnā€™t send the bushings International Expedited Overnite Express then?

1 Like

Vicki (wife) and I installed the Chrome reveal moulding around the back glass and the windshield (our black 2+2). Kind of a mixed bagā€¦when the mouldings fit it is a breeze. When the moulding do notā€¦they do notā€¦NOT. So, its on to black urethane to glue inā€¦and this will always be LESS then correct.
Mitch
perfection is a tough nut to crackā€¦just sell it on BATā€¦super glue will doā€¦ya but its a keeperā€¦well I have to look at it till the end of life (at least I knowā€¦best not to knowā€¦
Well, donā€™t crack the nutā€¦What?

Iā€™m in Marietta. Known to frequent the Reformation brewery in Woodstock at weekends.

1 Like

Love Reformation. Would be a great meeting spot for the Ga Jaguar Mafia!

1 Like

Thank you Nickā€¦great detail thank you

Thanks for the video Nick. Iā€™m jealous!! But good on you. What ceramic coating did you elect to use?

Yeahā€¦Iā€™d be down for that. And yā€™all have such great roads to the north to enjoy!

Now that my part of the crisis is past (getting the engine to Dick) Iā€™ll make a thread on the engine. But the short story is I bought the car from my elderly aunt in 2003. She had had it in a scalawag shop in Salt Lake City for restoration. It was driven into the shop; it came out 5 years later and $1000s in pieces on a trailer. Engine supposedly rebuilt. The engine is just the latest bad assumption on my part. This is what it looked like at my auntā€™s home in 2003. Some really good things about it - very rust free is one - and some ugly things - bonnet and interior stolen - but I thought it was mostly a move forward project. In retrospect, I should have pulled the entire drivetrain out including the IRS because that is what Iā€™ve done in piecemeal. Here is my initial thread about the car: I'm Back! '63 FHC

1 Like

@Les_Halls let me know when the next time your at Reformation, Ill gather the intown etype guys to join. JS

1 Like

We should probably take this off the forum.

Couple of things first. I typically meet with a couple of motor cycling (I no longer ride) guys for coffee every Saturday and Sunday morning around 9.30.

Parking is at a premium on Saturday due to the local market firing up so the best day would be Sunday and be there by 8.30 - 9.00 to guarantee parking for several cars. No market on Sundays.

Very much looking forward to getting together!

1 Like

Cerakote. Recent discussion here: Cerakote headers

1 Like

Sounds like the beginnings of a Georgia Oil Leak!

:relieved:

1 Like