Tung sol flasher - almost correct, on eBay

There is a TungSol flasher on eBay that,s almost correct:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172620479209?ul_noapp=true

The correct flasher should be 241D, this one is 241D0.

It’s definitely missing the angle mounting bracket, but to find the right one is not easy, so this could be the closest you can find.

Te price is affordable, too. :slight_smile:

Tadek

That is very close to the correct one shown in my photo. The inked script on these units can be easily removed. Using lacquer thinner on a toothpick, the extra “O” after 241D can be easily erased.

The angle bracket from the fairly common Tung Sol 229D could be removed and glued to the eBay unit.

Just to refresh everyone’s memories, here are the previous discussions on this subject.

In Mike’s picture there is more interesting stuff about flashers, the patent numbers on the can and box.

1979349 is Joseph Schmidinger’s original 1934 patent for a “flasher”, which is not contained in a can or other case, just looks like something he put together out of parts on his workbench. It has an armature and an electromagnet. He goes on for 4 pages about how it works, but does not propose it for automotive turn signal use. In fact he has no suggestions for use, but says it can flash from once per second to 20 times per second.

2074345 is Schmidinger’s 1937 patent for a “switch”, again not in a can or case, just workbench parts. This one works by thermal buckling of a conducting element, so he’s getting closer to what we think of as a flasher. He gives 6 pages of how it works, but again no automotive or other application is suggested.

2103276 is Schmidinger’s 1937 patent for a “flasher device” which is now in a can that we all recognize. Here he finally gets to the idea that it could be used for turn signals on trucks, and even pinball machines, but curiously does not suggest cars. The flashing speed of the pilot lamp will indicate to the truck driver whether his signals are working or if one has burned out. He refers back to a previous patent 1998823 which was his flasher combined inside a bulb to make a rapidly flashing brake lamp.

2103277 is for a heavy duty version, was filed 2 weeks after the previous, and granted the same day.

Mike’s 241D flasher has the patent number of the primitive 1934 device printed on the can. I wonder why Tung-Sol would put the number of the earliest patent on their product, rather than the latest patent?

Mine is P241D and has 12 Volts and the number of the 1937 patent.

Mike, could yours possibly be a 6 volt version?

Rob,

My understanding is all the various “241” Tung Sol flashers are 12 volts. From what I have seen, the 241 flashers with a separate aluminum ring to crimp the steel body to the fiber bottom use the 1979349 Patent Number. The photo of the 241D I posted earlier has the separate aluminum crimp ring, and the 241DO in the eBay auction also has the separate aluminum crimp ring and shows the 1979349 Patent Number.

Your P241D does not have a separate aluminum ring to attach the fiber bottom, and all of these 241 flashers seem to show the 2103276 Patent Number.

In my collection of Tung Sol flashers, I have a 141D with the aluminum crimp ring. This may be the 6 volt version of the 241D flasher.

Ah yes, thanks.
Patent number 2103276 shows a drawing of a flasher with a separate crimp ring.

Perhaps the angle tab, the separate holding clip, and the one piece crimped body are developmental increments within the single product heading of 241.

P141D seems to be a 12 volt for a single lamp application.

The 229D seems to be a 6 volt. Perhaps spade terminals could also be included within the developmental increments?